Ugh.

Dknapp34

I'm usually the last one to knock other people's design choices, but I just saw this on my local craigslist and I thought it was pretty ridiculous.  This beauty can be yours for a mere $325:

00t0t_4ddBddzLbYh_600x450.jpg

It's got the damn bark on it still!  Not to mention that the slab appears to be resting on the bases of two office chairs from the '80s.  At least the poster includes a close-up of the massive checking that has occurred on one end.  I wonder if this slab is even dry?  Ugh.

I think I just threw up. 

On the same note, I was following some woodworking pages on instagram, I had to unfollow just about every one of them because it is all pallet wood / live edge garbage.  Sorry, but that is not woodworking.  I also can't stand the "makers" who turn out garbage and think it is the best thing ever.  Sorry, your pocket screws and metal legs you bought on ebay doesn't make you a craftsman. 

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Honestly, I am more offended by design choices of people who should know better.   Screwing some legs to a slab is just a newb or wannabe move.   I see plenty of experienced woodworkers with real joinery skills doing some bad stuff.  That is more annoying.  

I think it is a fad/easy way to make a buck. Like all the people that took old classic pieces of furniture and gobbed some milk paint on them to create a distressed look. Sometimes it works and looks alright, but you also get silliness like the above. I'm still wondering about what the connection for legs is, and whether or not this thing has any durability for when someone leans forward a hair.

3 hours ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Matt Cremona did a bench with the bark left on. Matt's look works for me, i'm not sure about the long term performance though. 

http://www.mattcremona.com/portfolio_page/cherry-live-face-bench

But yeah, on your selection....those legs look both ridiculous and not functional/unstable.

That at least has a significant amount of craftsmanship in it... the OP one is just awful.

Good lord. That pretty much exemplifies the pinterest-craftsperson movement and everything that sucks about it. Its so perfectly horrible i cant help but wonder if it was made by a talented woodworker out of spite.

Cremonas log is only slightly better. The percieved quality of a thing should have little or nothing to do with how hard it was to build. Ugly is ugly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I like a lot of Cremona''s stuff, but that one doesn't do it for me.  Maybe I'm not open minded enough, but I think bark belongs on trees, not furniture.  

I'm not opposed to live edge pieces in general, when they are done right.  For example, good live edge:

Furniture Conoid Dining Table 1 The sculptural lines of the conoid base suit a more free-form table top and book-matched boards up to 8' long x 48" wide when available.

Slapping some office chair legs under a slab of cherry...bad live edge.

56 minutes ago, Dknapp34 said:

Maybe I'm not open minded enough, but I think bark belongs on trees, not furniture. 

Totally agree.  Unless you live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere in the Rocky Mountains...live edge is gonna look stupid in your house, bark or no bark.  But yeah the bark really does add a whole other level of horrible.

Live edge is done well basically never.  Nakashima was a true artist and he had the eye and skill to pull it off.  Very few others are able to do it successfully.  It always looks clunky and amateurish.  I don't understand the appeal.  The base of the table posted above is very cool...imagine how nice it would look if the top wasn't all cracked to hell and irregularly shaped.

I like Cremona's bench. His picture shows where I imagine he intends, as a piece of outdoor furniture, so a cabin or lake home is probably about right. Not sure who has all been to Minnesota, but that state is filled with thousands of cabins of all shapes and sizes, and standard decorating looks pretty much like this:

mn-state-park-cabin-rentals-001.jpg

and this:

pretty-casual-log-cabin-furniture.jpg

so there is definitely a market.

• Like 1