Question on a finish for butcher block

Saman

Hi - I am a new user. I recently bought these blocks to make a table. So far I have made good good progress. However I scratched a couple of the tops and they look rather nasty. I was wondering what kind of finish these blocks have so I can atleast try to make it right again. I have been told that these are rubber. I bought them at Sears. I don't want to re-sand the whole top however.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Saman

butcherblock.jpg

Welcome to the forums.

Rubber? Never heard of that finish for wood. Most wood counter top materials like that are either finished with mineral and/or wax or a curing oil. With oil finishes, repairs are easy. Just sand out the scratch & apply the finish as per directions. Ikea sells a food safe curing oil finish that isn't great. Others may be able to suggest something better.

Is the picture you posted of the actual top ? That looks like maple to me. Rubber wood has more open pores. If the tops are sold as non food safe and imported then the coating is most likely laquer or varnish. 

Attempts to spot touch up the finish will not look good. I would sand the entire top down to bare wood and finish the top and legs to match.

7 hours ago, Saman said:

I don't want to re-sand the whole top however.

I hear that however, I agree that based on the damage, sanding down to a level surface is the only way to do it correctly.  A picture of the actual damage might elicit some better suggestions as we are assuming the damage is pretty substantial.

Thanks for the reply guys. The damage isnt great and cannot be seen from a few feet. But for my eyes it is unsightly. I was hoping I could touch up the wood with some finish and atleast the original color would return. I will try to post a picture soon. 

Thanks again.