What is safe to use over Danish Oil?

Rex Edgar

I decided to finish the No. 7 box with Danish oil. I like the 'chocolate/vanilla' contrast. The directions (yes I read them first^_^) say to wait 72 hrs before using polyurethane. I want to avoid two chemicals that don't like each other, anyone have any experience protecting an oil finish with a satin poly?

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

• Like 2

I have no experience, but I just put a coat of danish oil on my countertop I made for my pantry yesterday.  Haven't decided if I'm going to topcoat with anything but wax yet.  I'm not 100% sure that I shook up the can for long enough, not sure how much danish oil settles.  Seems like I remember getting a little more shine out of it in the past but I may have done multiple coats. 

So count me in for all the replies, I have some minwax wipe on in satin that I may add on top in a few days.  I thought about shellac but that may be a bit weak for a countertop. 

1 hour ago, estesbubba said:

For something like that Danish oil will give more than enough protection. If you want a little more sheen then apply more coats or super blonde shellac. 

If you want to use oil-based poly, skip the Danish next time and just use the poly. 

Yeah, the oil based poly should yellow a bit anyways, right?

I recently built 17 tables to sell at an art/craft fair.... Every table received two coats of Danish oil, then the last coat dried 5 days, and I applied 3 coats of poly...  Never a problem, but you absolutely have to let the Danish oil dry..... If you want, I'll hold on to the bottle for you while it dries.  But make sure you use an oil based poly..  All oils bring an amber tone to light colored woods!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would use a water-based topcoat. Using an oil based poly will stink for a long time until it fully cures. Booze that drips on the shellac will hammer the finish (shellac and alcohol, remember ~ alcohol melts shellac) so shellac its not a good choice 

If I were you Rex, I would install a little rubber bumper in the bottom of the groove. Just incase when yer sneaking a drink...you hear the wife type person from the other room, on the move, man should that door slip from your fingers, will sound like a mouse trap going off...busted!. :D

-Ace-