OLD TOOLS

Griff

Hey guys,

So recently I've been starting to collect old handsaws and hand planes. Can you guys help me on what brands of hand saws and hand planes to look for? I have quite a few disston handsaws and a couple of Atkins saws only hand planes I have is a few old Stanley's some Ohio tool co. Wood planes. Just don't know what rare brands or really good old brands to keep a eye out for? Any help would be awesome!! Thanks guys!

On 11/1/2016 at 4:49 PM, BonPacific said:

Are you collecting for the sake of the collection? Or collecting to use? It changes things. I recently picked up a #5 that I think is an old Union. It performs as well as any good-condition Stanley #5, but probably wouldn't fetch the same price in a nice condition.

I second this.  I've been buying a bunch lately as well, with the intent on using them.   If you're doing it to collect, maybe pick a goal or something.  Like to assemble a complete set of Type 5s or something specific.  I just lean toward Stanley planes without the ring around the front knob. As for saws, I look for Disston, or other brands from the 1800s that I'm able to look up online. I don't buy online, only from flea markets and antique stores, so I make sure I have my phone on me.   

Lastly, make sure the plane isn't damaged.  I bought two No. 7s, one from late 1800s and the other from about 1909.  The late 1800s No 7 had a hole drilled through the rear of the sole for handing on the wall, which was clear as day, but I somehow over looked it.  It works great, but likely has no collector value.  The second plane, I actually bought later that same day.  When I got it home and started cleaning up the sole and side with sandpaper, I discovered cracks on both sides, coming up from the mouth.  So the second is essentially unusable until brazed and worthless.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I just like old rusty tools some I use and some I don't. I guess I started collecting them just to collect more than anything I like the restoration process and bringing a old rusty tool back to life I really like the hunt of finding old planes and hand saws at antique stores and flea markets I also go to a lot of auctions in my area. I'm just not very knowledgeable on old brands. I have a lot of old disstons. As for my planes most of my wooden planes I've purchased from auctions are Ohio tool co. From auburn NY. I have found one transitional plane that I believe is a old Stanley but it's broken so there is pretty much no value.  I have a couple Bailey's that are kinda old. Thanks again   

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Thanks guys,

I just like old rusty tools some I use and some I don't. I guess I started collecting them just to collect more than anything I like the restoration process and bringing a old rusty tool back to life I really like the hunt of finding old planes and hand saws at antique stores and flea markets I also go to a lot of auctions in my area. I'm just not very knowledgeable on old brands. I have a lot of old disstons. As for my planes most of my wooden planes I've purchased from auctions are Ohio tool co. From auburn NY. I have found one transitional plane that I believe is a old Stanley but it's broken so there is pretty much no value.  I have a couple Bailey's that are kinda old. Thanks again   

Alright, the background helps a lot. In terms of usage, brand doesn't always mean much. There are plenty of Stanley's that have been abused past their working ability, and you can find a few old Handyman types that will work fine, even if they were budget deals.

I won't pretend to be very knowledgeable, but the brands I would looks out for in Hand Planes are 

• Stanley, of course
    • Bedrock's are worth some money, if that's your thing
  • Millers Falls
  • Record, basically English Stanley
  • Union
  • Sargent

Then there are other names that were store-owned, usually by Sears. Different models were made by different manufacturers. So there's some good and some bad.

• Fulton
  • Dunlap
  • Craftsman
  • Handyman, made by Stanley I think

More than the name though, its about telling a good working plane from a boat anchor. Even the ones that need cleanup can be figured out usually. Nicks in the mouth, whether the frog is adjustable. How much slop in the Depth Adjuster. You'll win some, and lose some others.

Also worth remembering that a lot of parts on planes are interchangeable, even between different brands. So just because it has a Union or Stanley level cap, who knows where the body originally came from.

On hand saws I don't know much beyond Disston. I think Spear and Jackson was a good English brand, but not sure you'll find many in the states.

• Like 1

Thanks bonpacific,

I actually do have a Stanley handyman plane. It's in good condition but I assume collection value it's not worth much. Thanks for the list of brands. I actually found a record plane and passed on it cause I didn't think that was a good brand. I've been looking for Miller's falls planes for some time now. I'm with you on the handsaws only good brand saws I've heard of is disston and E.C. Atkins I have a Atkins saw that was my grandpa's that I took to WIA '16 and had lots of ppl autograph. So that will be worth money some day got Mr. Swartz and the great Roy Underhill to sign it. It's pretty awesome. I actually just purchased a disston no. 43 from a auction for 47.50 but it's missing the scratch awl. :(

32 minutes ago, Griff said:

Thanks bonpacific,

I actually do have a Stanley handyman plane. It's in good condition but I assume collection value it's not worth much. Thanks for the list of brands. I actually found a record plane and passed on it cause I didn't think that was a good brand. I've been looking for Miller's falls planes for some time now. I'm with you on the handsaws only good brand saws I've heard of is disston and E.C. Atkins I have a Atkins saw that was my grandpa's that I took to WIA '16 and had lots of ppl autograph. So that will be worth money some day got Mr. Swartz and the great Roy Underhill to sign it. It's pretty awesome. I actually just purchased a disston no. 43 from a auction for 47.50 but it's missing the scratch awl. :(

Huh, I'd never heard o the 43, did some googleing, and that is a gorgeous piece of kit. Not sure how practical it ever was, but absolutely gorgeous.

3 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

Huh, I'd never heard o the 43, did some googleing, and that is a gorgeous piece of kit. Not sure how practical it ever was, but absolutely gorgeous.

Man your not kidding! I seen it and was blown away by how unique it was. I guess it was one of the most expensive saws disston made i found one online selling for $795.00 probably will never sell mine any idea on how to shine up old brass i heard about using 0000 steel wool. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Man your not kidding! I seen it and was blown away by how unique it was. I guess it was one of the most expensive saws disston made i found one online selling for $795.00 probably will never sell mine any idea on how to shine up old brass i heard about using 0000 steel wool. 

Felt buffing wheel in a Dremel. Load it with any buffing compound and polish away.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 4:58 PM, Griff said:

Will that help get the grime off it?

Clean it before, a damp rag won't hurt it.

If you are really worried, you could always buy a specialized brass polish liquid, and apply some elbow grease. I've never restored anything valuable, just trying to make it look nice hanging in the shop.

I spritz a gentle cleaner like Murphy's oil soap or Simple Green onto a rag and use that to clean. Don't spray cleaners on tools. You could wipe with mineral spirits too. If you have a really rare tool be careful not to remove the patina and decrease the value. If it's just a shop wall hanger polish to your hearts content. I would mask around the metal before polishing to keep the polish & grime out of the wood grain.

• Like 1

I kinda like old planes myself!   A Fulton #7 boat anchor, restored and working beautifully  A Stanley #62 encrusted with rust, bought for less than $20, restored and working fine, sold on Ebay for $300   didn't need it!  Also have several tenon/back saws that I've reworked, sharpened and use them more daily.  Will get pics if anyone's interested.  Most old tools I get, are bought , restored as users, I've sold a few, and given one or two as gifts to other woodworkers who know little to nothing about how good these tools really are.  They wind up using them more than they thought!

102_1193.JPG

102_1281.JPG

DSC01295.JPG

DSC01305.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 1:21 PM, BonPacific said:

Alright, the background helps a lot. In terms of usage, brand doesn't always mean much. There are plenty of Stanley's that have been abused past their working ability, and you can find a few old Handyman types that will work fine, even if they were budget deals.

I won't pretend to be very knowledgeable, but the brands I would looks out for in Hand Planes are 

• Stanley, of course
    • Bedrock's are worth some money, if that's your thing
  • Millers Falls
  • Record, basically English Stanley
  • Union
  • Sargent

Then there are other names that were store-owned, usually by Sears. Different models were made by different manufacturers. So there's some good and some bad.

• Fulton
  • Dunlap
  • Craftsman
  • Handyman, made by Stanley I think

More than the name though, its about telling a good working plane from a boat anchor. Even the ones that need cleanup can be figured out usually. Nicks in the mouth, whether the frog is adjustable. How much slop in the Depth Adjuster. You'll win some, and lose some others.

Also worth remembering that a lot of parts on planes are interchangeable, even between different brands. So just because it has a Union or Stanley level cap, who knows where the body originally came from.

On hand saws I don't know much beyond Disston. I think Spear and Jackson was a good English brand, but not sure you'll find many in the states.

I actually found a Spear & Jackson that I'm really happy with, just north of Utica New York a few weeks ago, paid $48 for it.  

Earlier that day I found a second line back saw from Harvey Peace for $5. And this afternoon I chatted up a lady at an antique store that I found this morning, she had her husband take me into their store room and I found a Richardson Bros back saw there.  Paid little less than 20 for it, and was surprised to see how much those were going for on Ebay.