Afzalia For Wood Whisperer Inspired Picture Frame?

TheWoodShouter

Hi guys! For some holiday gifts I would like to make a picture frame like the one Marc built. In that video he uses afzalia wood in the frame. I cannot find this wood locally, and I looked online and found it to be very, very expensive. So I was wondering if anyone knew either where to purchase a small piece of this wood - enough to make a frame or two - or if there was a similar substitute I could use in its place. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

The following link goes to Marc's video so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_5UX2Yr7r0

Thanks very much!

-TheWoodShouter

• Like 1

He got that afzelia from the magic David Marks wood stash.  It's like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow...doesn't actually exist.

Not sure why you think you need to use exactly the same species.  Pick any combination of wood you like.  How about curly maple and bubinga?  If you're trying to match the color just use anything reddish-brown.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric. said:

He got that afzelia from the magic David Marks wood stash.  It's like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow...doesn't actually exist.

Not sure why you think you need to use exactly the same species.  Pick any combination of wood you like.  How about curly maple and bubinga?  If you're trying to match the color just use anything reddish-brown.

Hi, Eric.!

thanks for the reply. I know I can use anything I like, but I wanted to use the same materials because the one Marc did looked fantastic. I was really hoping someone would know a place I could order just a little afzalia for a decent price, or if someone could suggests something that would be close and more redily available. In the original he used a figured maple, wenge and the afzalia. Any suggestions on where to buy the afzalia or what would be a close substitute would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

-TheWoodShouter

6 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Honestly I thought it was bubinga when I first saw that frame.  Bubinga will be really close.  

Hi, Mike.! Thanks for the tip. It's definitely maple, wenge and the afzalia in the Wood Whisperer's video, but if you think the Bubinga would be close I'll definitely check that out since I know I can get that locally.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

-TWS

2 minutes ago, Llama said:

You can only use the exact wood Marc used when making one for yourself. Any deviations will be met with a temporary ban and a small fine. 

Lol, I'll keep that in mind! I just wanted to stick with what he did because it came out really nice, and I was previously unfamiliar with afzalia wood. Now, I've discovered that's it's ridiculously expensive, so I guess I've learned two things ;-)

-TheWoodShouter

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Execution is everything.  The choice of species means very little.  Use your imagination and make the project your own.  It's more fun that way and the recipient will appreciate it more if it has your personality in it instead of someone elses'.

Eric., thank you again for your advice, I appreciate it. I definitely realize I can do things differently and choose my own designs and materials, which I've done on frames previously, but the one Marc made just seemed perfect for what I want to do as a gift for my sister. I had never before heard of the afzalia wood, and thought it looked really sharp, but I was a little stunned by some of the prices I saw online. I'll most likely be using the bubinga instead, and may do things differently than the video, but I'd like to stick with that combination of materials, I just thought it looked great. 

Thanks again, I always appreciate your help!

-TWS

Sheesh! The guy asks for a wood source and you guys give him a lecture. What is this?! An online forum?! lol

That afzalia was indeed something special. And while the color is definitely close to bubinga, the figuring and grain patterns are unmatched. But hunting down bubinga is probably the direction to go since it shouldn't be too hard to find some figured bubinga. That will get you even closer. But again, I can totally see his reason for wanting to match what I did in the video, because that afzalia wood will knock your damn socks off.

6 minutes ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

Sheesh! The guy asks for a wood source and you guys give him a lecture. What is this?! An online forum?! lol

That afzalia was indeed something special. And while the color is definitely close to bubinga, the figuring and grain patterns are unmatched. But hunting down bubinga is probably the direction to go since it shouldn't be too hard to find some figured bubinga. That will get you even closer. But again, I can totally see his reason for wanting to match what I did in the video, because that afzalia wood will knock your damn socks off.

Hi, Marc! We've chatted briefly by email in the past, and I very much appreciate you jumping in here too. Yeah, I had never heard of afzalia before, but was very impressed with the the end result of your frame project. However, for my budget in think I'll have to try the bubinga. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, I really appreciate it. And keep up the great videos!

Thanks again!

TheWoodShouter

I wasn't lecturing him, I was just pointing out the reality that there was no need to go to the ends of the earth trying to find afzelia just because afzelia was used in the video, and that any combination of woods would work fine.  I think people get hung up on trying to replicate and they lose their own sense of self in the process.  Woodworking is about expression...or at least it should be.  The only thing you express when you copy a piece exactly is that you can copy a piece.  I've done it several times so I know how little satisfaction you get from it.  I can see following a set of plans for a very difficult build, that's one thing.  But to replicate something simple like a picture frame leaves little room for the creativity that's inside everyone if they'd just tap into it and let it flow out.

42 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Eric gave very goid advice, that WoodShouter could use any combination he liked .... and he liked figured maple, wenge, and afzalea, dangit!

Marc is right, that combination certainly will knock your socks off!

Hello, wtnhighlander! Thank you for joining in, you've helped me in that past as well. I always appreciate everyone's help, but in this case I really was very, very impressed with The Wood Whisperer's choice of materials and final product. If I could get my hands on some of that prized Afzelia I'd go that route, but I think my budget dictates something more common like the Bubinga. Thank you very much for stopping by though!

4 hours ago, Llama said:

I didn't lecture either. Just stating the facts. Carryon. 

Llama, I know you have commented on my posts in the past, and frankly I thought your comment was quite funny. Please keep it up ;-) 

4 hours ago, Keggers said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :D

Damn straight! I really like what The Wood Whisperer does, and as an amatuer "noob" I was hoping to come close to something that looked that great. Obviously, I can do things differently, but for anyone that actually watched that video, I doubt you can do any better at least as far as the choice of materials. And that's all I was really asking about. Thank you very much for stopping by my post and offering your comments!

4 hours ago, Eric. said:

I wasn't lecturing him, I was just pointing out the reality that there was no need to go to the ends of the earth trying to find afzelia just because afzelia was used in the video, and that any combination of woods would work fine.  I think people get hung up on trying to replicate and they lose their own sense of self in the process.  Woodworking is about expression...or at least it should be.  The only thing you express when you copy a piece exactly is that you can copy a piece.  I've done it several times so I know how little satisfaction you get from it.  I can see following a set of plans for a very difficult build, that's one thing.  But to replicate something simple like a picture frame leaves little room for the creativity that's inside everyone if they'd just tap into it and let it flow out.

Eric., you've helped me with other questions on other posts too, and I very much appreciate your help. I was just really hoping to find more info about the Afzelia wood, but I also appreciate your perspective and suggestions. Please keep them coming!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to consider my post!

-TheWoodShouter

5 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

This is the default reaction to many comments here :)

JosephThomas, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out. Thank you very much for stopping by and commenting on my post. Sometimes I think you are correct, but I try to remember that I'm a newbie and I try to be gracious to everyone that offers a suggestion to one of my questions. I hope I hear more from you soon!

-TWS

FWIW I picked up a beautiful piece of lacewood with no particular project in mind - but I'm planning on making that picture frame with it (what with my afzalia supply being somewhat limited these days, and all... :) )

I say go with any beautiful wood that would make you happy to look at.

I was curious so I checked, Savage Woods out of Texas, has a piece currently on sale.  3.44 BF for only $450.00,  That's down from $950.00 or $276.00 per bf.  Marc's frame is very nice, but I think I might use a different combination, you know  just to be different..........holy cow that stuff is pricey! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jfitz said:

FWIW I picked up a beautiful piece of lacewood with no particular project in mind - but I'm planning on making that picture frame with it (what with my afzalia supply being somewhat limited these days, and all... :) )

I say go with any beautiful wood that would make you happy to look at.

Yes, lacewood might be another option. I'm leaning towards the bubinga because of its color and because I know my local hard wood guy has it. This weekend or next I'll have to get out to the to the hardwood shop and see what he's got going. Thanks for the help!

7 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Hey there, woodshouter, I just stopped by to say that you literally seem like the most pleasant person on planet earth. You should post more often! :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

LOL, if you only knew :-) But thank you, I'm just trying to be civil and remember that for the most part everyone is well meaning in their replies and suggestions even if it doesn't directly answer my question. Thanks for the comment!

-TheWoodShouter