weird patches after applying teak oil

antkn33

I applied two coats of teak oil to a project. I let the teak oil sink in for about 15 minutes then wiped the excess off each time.

After letting the project dry for two days I noticed light colored patches in some places that are rougher than the rest of the piece. It almost looks like it has been sanded in these patches. 

I wiped the whole piece down with mineral spirits before applying the oil and didn't see any of these patches. 

It is difficult to see in these photos, but you maybe able to make out the lighter covered patches on the maple.

I am wondering what might have caused them and how to get rid of them.

Thanks

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

What that is, endgrain. Like the edge of a board. The teak oil was sucked in deeper. Simply sand those areas along the rise in the wood with a higher grit sandpaper to seal off the endgrain, thus slowing down the take up of finish. 

Your issue really began by wiping mineral spirits on the wood before applying the teak oil  the mineral sprits soaked into the endgrain, prohibiting the take up of the oil. 

-Ace-

• Like 1

I'm with Ace on the higher grit technique.  I use a lot of exposed end grain on certain styles and use this technique to control oil based finish absorption.  The variance is greater on full end grain but, the method for controlling it is the same.  I have tried pre-finishing anticipated areas in the past and found that higher grit sanding, or burnishing, provides me a more controllable result.

• Like 1