Mineral Spirits......?

Marmotjr

First time using mineral spirits, bought a bottle of This today.   Klean strip "green" mineral spirits.   Started to make up a batch of the Drunken Woodworkers BLO - WOP - MS Finish for a sycamore Salt shaker I'm turning.  The spirits look like milk.   I thought they were supposed to be clear...   As I had already mixed the WOP and BLO, I finished making the batch.   This stuff requires constant shaking to keep it mixed (I'm using generic ketchup dispenser bottle), else it settles out within 30 seconds, looks like curdled milk falling to the bottom.  

I applied it anyways, as the shaker is almost a loss, it's basically a lidded box, but the tenon is a hair too loose to be anything but a gag salt shaker, so I figured it's a trial piece anyways.  It went on ok, but I'm just curious if mineral spirits is supposed to look like this, and will it affect the finish?

It seems to be pat pending.

Looking at the ingredients it appears to be made from petroleum distillates (between 15% and 40%) and some other mystery chemical(s).

Hmm..... If it works then use it. Is it any cheaper than regular MS?

CAS # Hazardous Components (Chemical Name) 3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS Concentration RTECS #

64742-47-8 Hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum) 15.0 -40.0 % OA5504000

Additional Chemical Specific percentage of composition is being withheld as a trade secret.

Hey, don't be hatin' on Dave! Gotta remember, his channel catch phrase is "Have fun, and Make Something!"

Doesn't have to be something any of us would make, to be entertaining, and possibly even informative.

I know every one of you watched that "Rated RED" video Shane linked to, but would you admit to making a pallet coffee cup holder?

I am ok w/ the Dre album, only because sometime around 7th or 8th grade I thought I was a gangsta rapper.   Like this guy:

But seriously, I do respect what Dr Dre did... making those samples work together and bringing attention to 60s and 70s funk and soul music (which he mostly sampled).  

He is a musical and business genius. Im not a huge hip hop guy but you gotta give credit where credit is due.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I have respect for Dre and a few of the other old school hip hop guys.  But their stuff should be consumed via CD or itunes...reserve vinyl for the real music that was made in the 60s and 70s.  Owning LPs made after the mid-80s requires a fierce beard and a $100 turntable.

I have respect for Dre and a few of the other old school hip hop guys.  But their stuff should be consumed via CD or itunes...reserve vinyl for the real music that was made in the 60s and 70s.  Owning LPs made after the mid-80s requires a fierce beard and a $100 turntable.

Yeah you have a point there. I think it's just a cool collectible more than trying to get that old school vinyl sound.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Ooh come on guys.. ya'll know I'm an equal opportunity trash talker but at least the homie Dave is trying. I don't remember that video but should someone have to state every time they do something that someone has done it before as well as specify specifically what must  be done?  

Dave has done some cool stuff on his channel and some face palm worthy stuff but he's still bringing people into the craft.  sweet soup strainer beard and all.

These products are not all that expensive when you think of how far they go and how long you will benefit from their use.  I don't hesitate to spend a few extra bucks on a finish that is going on $1000 worth of material and effort.

I use Klean-Strip "odoless" mineral spirits (which are not odorless) with good success.  The fine folks who migrated here, got elected and make people from their home state think Californians are nuts have recently made non-green products hard to find.  Let's not go into the facts about how actually green some of these products are.

Uh-oh, I think the Thought Police are listening . . .  If I disappear, remember me well.

I don't know what the MS, Johnson's Wax or Guardian furniture polish looks like in other states but, the stuff I can now get is nothing like what I ran out of :P.   Fortunately California is a skinny state and finish-friendlier lands lie just past the bard wire.  I have also gotten used to working my way through product availability in our current Wal-Mart mindset driven retail world.

I'm not grouchy, I'm just old enough to start to think of times gone by as the "good old days". :D:D:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

I don't hesitate to spend a few extra bucks on a finish that is going on $1000 worth of material and effort.

Wisdom.

:manchu

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

Ooh come on guys.. ya'll know I'm an equal opportunity trash talker but at least the homie Dave is trying. I don't remember that video but should someone have to state every time they do something that someone has done it before as well as specify specifically what must  be done?  

Dave has done some cool stuff on his channel and some face palm worthy stuff but he's still bringing people into the craft.  sweet soup strainer beard and all.

I don't mind the guy, don't get me wrong.  I find it a little annoying that people think he invented the bandsaw box.  But he's alright.  He'd be alrighter if he didn't stop participating in the forum after he got too cool for school with his book and all.

14 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

The spirits look like milk

Thats the way the "green" stuff looks.

13 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

"not intended for sale in California".

You can get it in California but like Steve said its only good at clean up and it doesn't even do that very well, its a weak product.

The only thing the green mineral spirits is good for is removing money from your wallet.  Not even effective at cleaning.

14 hours ago, Mike. said:

And this is precisely my problem with talking head woodworkers.  Before telling folks to mix their own finishes, does he say things like?

"This is a homemade version of Danish Oil, which you can buy pretty much anywhere" -or-

"If you are going to mix it yourself, be sure to get pure Mineral Spirits or Naptha.  Don't buy the "green" stuff or paint thinner it might not be compatible with the varnish"

Does he even know these things?  We think we are saving money buy watching free videos, but spend $20 on Flexner's book and you will learn everything you need to know about finishing, and not waste $15 on useless brush cleaner and a ruined project.  

I know this is a bit of a rant, but I think it is fair.  I can only assume Dave is getting paid somehow for his channel, and when people do things for money they should be professionals.

And if he has those disclaimers in his video, then I will take back what I said about hairpin legs :)

No, because every video cannot contain the entire sum of knowledge required to do woodworking.  I had someone ask me what saw I was using in a video titled Sculpted Bandsaw Boxes.  There are people watching who don't know what sandpaper is but I am not going to explain every detail about sandpaper because I had to sand something.  In every video.   At some point you have to draw a line and let people find some of their own answers.  But if you don't say what finish you are using you will get "What finish are you using?" comments for the rest of eternity.  So you say it or face the consequences.

I used to be more uptight about content creators giving out the "right" information.  The people who develop enough of an interest will seek out the right information.  Getting people interested to get started simply is a good thing.  It will be okay.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 11:04 AM, Mike. said:

"If you are going to mix it yourself, be sure to get pure Mineral Spirits or Naptha.  Don't buy the "green" stuff or paint thinner it might not be compatible with the varnish"

If I had known it was a different product, I wouldn't have grabbed it.  This is not the presenter's fault, it's the manufacturers.  The Label screams MINERAL SPIRITS".   Only in the fine print, on the logo, does it say green.  Any one of us would have grabbed the same bottle and not thought differently until opening it up.  

I've only been on this forum a few days, but noticed a couple things:

1) you guys go off topic quicker than a classroom full ADHD kids on acid.

2) There's  a lot of hate here.

I know I'll get flamed down for this, but why attack those who are trying to spread the craft around? I only mentioned the DWW because he has been a guest on the podcast, and it would let you know where I got the recipe from.  Maybe he should have mentioned it's just danish oil, but I would probably mix it up anyways to try, since I had the ingredients.  

The only reason I joined this forum was because I listen to the podcast, and from their comments, they made it out to be a nice and harmonious environment while compared to other forums out there.   I am really disappointed so far in this site.   Of course this will spawn the normal "then don't visit" comments, and maybe I will, or maybe I won't.  I'll stick around for a bit longer, see if you guys grow on me or not.   There's a lot of resources out there for this craft, and I'm looking for a good one. 

We go off topic after the topic has been covered.  The question was answered promptly and thoroughly (and to your satisfaction I presume?)...then we wandered off...so what?  Does every topic have to end when the subject at hand is exhausted?  Nah.

There's no hate, just frustration with those who presuppose themselves as experts, then pass off bad info.  "Spreading the craft around" is a great thing...as long as it's done responsibly with a little bit of dignity.  I'm not calling out David at all...I think he's fine.  But about 95% of what you see on youtube is absolute rubbish.

You should stick around, you'll like the guys here.  You might even discover a few things you enjoy whining about. :)

• Like 1