African mahogany

Znem1987

Hi there sawdust brethren,

I am very new to this site, so bear with me if this has been asked before. I am starting a Carpentry business on the side, and I'm just starting to look at more exotic woods for the tables that I make. I found a guy with some 8/4 African mahogany near me. It's 12" wide, 16' long. He's asking $145 per board, $9 pbf. Is this a reasonable price?

Humbly yours,

Zack (Noob woodworker)

Lumber prices can be quite , , , er , , , exciting by location.  Whereabouts are you Zack?  At $4.50/bf I would snap it up.  I generally pay $6 -$7 for 8/4 but, then pay a premium for "wide" (which is over 9").

Speaking as someone with limited room I will stuff lumber in the shop anywhere (it can be stored properly) to take advantage of a good deal.  Once I reach maximum density (including the vertical storage area I built in my MIL's garage) I have to start passing on things.

That being said I will grab gaboon ebony anytime I find it under $50/bf (I usually pay about $75) and find somewhere to put it.  I think there's a couple of billets in my sock drawer right now :D.  The point is, I try to hold off on lumber that is readily available at my supplier and leave room for "deals" as they do come by more often than you think once you learn to keep an eye out for them.

I did a random piece out of sapele years ago.  Someone saw it and asked for some items from the same material.  I now find folks selecting sapele (and some sipo) over African mahoganies as it has a darker hue that looks more like the 'hard to come by' genuine mahoganies.  Just some things to keep an eye out for if mahoganies become a favorite..

I just bought a pack of 8/4 sapele for $4.05 a bdft, but all my boards arent 12" wide! Somehow, african mahogany does run slightly more expensive at around $4.50-$4.75 for a pack. Personally, i think sapele is much darker and nicer of a wood. In any case, yes $4.50 a bdft for wide and long material is a good to great price.