Aged Cherry color mixed with fresh board

bbarry9999

I have some cherry that I planed and sanded for a project last year but never completed.  I plan to use it on a new project this year,. It will need a few more pieces.  The older boards have that wonderful darker shade Cherry gets with age.  My question is should I sand down the older boards to match color of the new ones, get all new, or just build the project and let them age naturally.  I plan to finish with oil only.

thanks

You will almost certainly need to sand your existing boards at some point before the project is complete. Even if its just after glue-up that will almost certainly make the boards the same color as newer boards so long as they are the same species of cherry. My sun aged cherry looks just like fresh cherry with minimal sanding. But my locally milled black cherry always looks darker then cherry I buy from places like woodcraft.

how do you know the new boards will age to match the old boards? Its not uncommon to have a board of cherry completely not match its brothers. I would sand the old ones to compare to the new ones before anything had glue applied to it. It would suck to have a random color board sticking out like a sore thumb for the next 100 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...