Book slipcovers

collinb

I haven't done much yet and am still learning about stains and oils.  So this question is pretty basic.

I'm looking at a wood slipcover for a special book.  Probably several.  Looking at doing versions of it in poplar, cherry, maple, walnut.  Just 1/4" thick material.

It's not hard to make, but finishing it is the question.

How long should a stain or oil dry or set in before a cloth-bound book won't absorb it?  Maybe 48 hours? 

A recommendations or warnings?

If the books are valuable or collectable in any way I wouldn't put them in there for a couple of months or more. Any oil based finish smells for quite a long time and will definitely impregnate a cloth bound book with chemical stink.

Wait until you can't smell it any longer, and then take it to an uninterested party and ask them to give it the smell test. Then wait longer.

I wouldn't put valuable books near any kind of finish, ever.

If they're not valuable, just wait until they're dry to the touch...they're dry at that point.  Straight oils will take much longer than oil-based finishes with dryers in them like most urethane finishes.

24 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Go through all the grits 100-120-150-180-220-320-400 and you will get a nice, polished surface that will be safe (I think) for your books.

Definitely not safe if you're talking archival. The pH of any raw wood will eat at the books over time.

2 hours ago, davewyo said:

Definitely not safe if you're talking archival. The pH of any raw wood will eat at the books over time.

Isn't paper wood :wacko:. I say that as a joke because i know it's processed, this is something that I'd have not thought of.

Did a quick google and found this http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-12-05/business/0312050227_1_books-library-of-congress-officials-shelves . Had some good information that I'll use for future bookshelves. Admittedly my main bookself is oak which i need to replace soon for various reasons.

Could line the inside with acid free shelf liner as well. It's an adhesive 1 side product.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Collin, cool idea. Do you have pics or links to what you're planing?

http://www.bibliotheca.co/#about

Check the bottom-right of the pre-orders section.

And maybe for this one as well

https://smile.amazon.com/Readers-Bible-Cloth-Permanent-Slipcase/dp/1433553473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478614225&sr=8-1&keywords=esv+readers

I guess it will probably be more like a half-inch thick as I think about it..

Just now, wtnhighlander said:

Ahhh, that makes more sense than what I pictured! All book 'collections' I have seen boxed that way had a lining on the interior.

I got pretty familiar with archival paper this past 20 years as my wife has been engaged in scrapbooking.  Creative Memories made a big point of it.

The mention of maple as being better for paper makes sense.

Any stain you use should have a clear topcoat of some sort. The slipcover you are referring to is the box to contain the set of books ? Wood with a well cured finish shouldn't be much of an issue for modern books. I would only worry about liners if the books were rare & expensive.