rattle can lacquer

treeslayer

ok, so i have a bunch of small crosses i have built for the local trophy shop and decided to use spray lacquer in a can for ease of use and quick drying time, i works great but my problem is with the end grain soaking in the finish, after four coats and its still soaking it in. should i use something to seal the end grain before applying the lacquer? sanded down to 320 if that makes a difference, the wood i'm using are white and red oak, cherry and mahogany, this is the first time for me using lacquer and it seems to be a quick and easy finish especially in this application, thanks in advance for the help guys.

16 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Stuff in a can must be way different than the precat lacquer I been using . Never had any problems at all except my head is pounding tonight from spraying a table today. Not to good for ya.

I have to agree with Mat. I've not had anything like what you're describing when I've used Sherwin Williams pre-cat or Deft/Cabot's rattle can lacquer. After one coat the end grain is sealed.

2 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

i was using Watco spray lacquer and maybe giving it too light of a coat each time, i do like the finish it gives in this application and may look into a spray gun in the future, and a better mask when spraying, it does give a buzz that can't be good for you

I think allot of the problem for me is I need to keep working in the shop after spraying a coat and and dont keep my mask on all day. Would be so nice to have a different room just for spraying.  

• Like 1

I really like Deft spray laquer that's probably why they stopped selling it here in California.

They are now trying to pass on the water based stuff.But it's not the even close to Nitro laquer.

Ive also noticed it doesn't build very well in end grain.I read somewhere it doesn't have a lot of solids.But I don't know if it's true.

Aj

On 11/7/2016 at 7:34 PM, Chet K. said:

I have done exactly what Barron suggested.  When I did it I did the end grain first and the sprayed the rest after it dried.  Don't use a paper cup that has wax.  And don't ask me how I know that.

Nor use a styrofoam cup to catch the spray.  

• Like 2

I use shellac in some way on many of my projects:

• For items that don't need a lot of protection it can be a complete finish
  • When using waterborne topcoats garnet is great on woods like cherry and walnut to warm them up like oil does
  • It's a great seal coat under oil varnishes and will add depth and clarity and allow varnish to build faster
  • It's a great barrier coat between dyes/stains and oil/water topcoats
  • 1/2# cut can be used as wood conditioner for blotchy woods although I don't do this