Cross cut sled

Dmar

Just built my first cross cut sled.  It cuts 90 degrees after the 5 cut test.  But it doesn't slide very well on the table saw.  Sticks as I push it across the saw.  The runners slide fine in the tracks when not on the sled.  I tried using the a sharpie to check for wear but I can't push it through enough to get any wear.  Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Thanks

• Like 1

Agree with treeslayer. If they aren't glued now, remove your runners, ensure the still slide freely. If so, shim with dimes or something so they are just proud of the table top. Add AC glue then lower the sled material using the TS fence as a guide. Once the Ac glue has dried, flip the assembly upside down, drill pilot holes (don't reuse old screw holes) and screw the runners into place. Wax, repeat your 5 cut adjustments and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Didn't now about wax.  What kind?  I screwed the sled to the runners when it was on top of the saw with the runners in the tracks.

Thanks

The runners may have shifted when you screwed them in ever so slightly, but enough to cause them to bind. Using the AC glue locks your runners into place so they are less likely to shift when you screw them down. Finishing Paste wax the big box will have it in the paint department.

Also, Screwed from bottom or top not important as long as the runners don't move on you.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 3:49 PM, Dmar said:

Didn't now about wax.  What kind?  I screwed the sled to the runners when it was on top of the saw with the runners in the tracks.

Thanks

I prefer Johnson's Paste Wax but, that is because I have it ;-)  You could rub the runners with Gulf wax as well if you have that handy. 

The runners may be fine individually.  Mounted to the sled the become a fixed pair.  The way you attached them (while in the slots) tells me you're pretty darn close to dead on (in that position).  If the miter slots are not parallel there will be binding as you move forward and back. 

I have a few sleds but, one of them has got to be 10 years old.  I'll speak to how I finished it up.  I used baltic birch ply, finished with a couple of coats of shellac and then I paste waxed the bottom and rails.  I have touched up the wax something like annually or whenever I am doing my cast iron surfaces.  The shellac has never worn through which surprises me.  Probably because it stays well lubed.

I had the same problem. Someone on here suggested that after I put the sled bottom down on the double sided taped runners, move it in and out and make sure it slides. Maybe it was some kind of microadjustment that needed to be made but that was the first time out of 5 sleds where I was able to fully tighten the screws in the runners because otherwise the sled wouldn't budge. 

Also, I switched from Incra runners to Rockler. May have been the difference as well. I had very bad luck with the Incra ones. Could be my runners were bent slightly as well.

I assume you have a table saw with two tee slots? They may be slightly out of parallel relative to each other. In that case remove one of the runners from your sled. You don't need two as double runners have a tendancy to bind because of the slots being out of alignment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...