Stepping up my clamp game

byegge

All this is my opinion and everyone has a favorite brand or style and with good reason.  The Peachtree generics are not much of a step above the HF options.  There are more styles to choose from though.  What style of clamp are we talking about?

In the area of F-style clamps, until you get into large throat depths, I see no real advantage to the higher priced models.  F-style clamps are good to have around but, I do not really use them much other than the smaller sizes; Bessey mighty mini's ($4 - $5 each at the BORG) and I must have 3 dozen.  While that's great for me someone else may wonder what I need them all for ;-) 

I do prefer slip style to the clutch style but, both tend to pull things out of square or out of alignment.  If the clutch style suits you, watch Home depot as we're close to Christmas.  They have a 2 x 6" plus 2 x 12" set of Chinese made Bessey clutch-type F-style clamps for a great price.

In the area of case clamps (this is where things can get expensive) once I realized that parallel clamps were the go-to clamps for me I started watching for sales.  I would snap up a Bessey K-body whenever I found one for a dollar an inch or so; 24" clamps for $24, 31" clamp for $30 and so on.

Alas, the K-body has gone the way of the Dodo bird and the Revo's are pretty pricey.  I tried Jet's and have 8 or so in different lengths (which are heavier, have larger, thicker bars but flex more), some Groz K-body knock-offs (also more flexible and crudely made compared to the German products they are copies of ) and Jorgie Cabinet Masters (again, heavy to work with but an excellent clamp, again, no longer made so that's moot).

I've got a boat load of Bessey UniKlamps which are my goto clamp unless I rally ned to squish something.  I have 3/4" pipe clamps for that gorilla action.  Speaking of pipe clamps, they get disrespected by many.  I certainly don't use them every day but, when you need one, they are great to have.

So, what kind of clamps are you looking for?

• Like 1

Bessey revos are the only way to go, in my opinion. I had a bunch of jets i bought during the black friday sale, and i sold them all a month or two later for what i paid for them. I know people like them, i thought they sucked. 

They are expensive so buy during sales, or look for them used. Get 4 to start and save for others down the line. They are very rare on the used market, but i got lucky on quite a few this year. I think I paid about $15 a bessey for 40s and 50s. Too bad you missed the lowes/home depot blowout from 2-3 years ago. I purchased 8-12 brand new for $15-20 a piece. Some people bought them for $2-5 a piece. Craziness. 

If you really want to "step up your clamp game" you are better to save up and buy a couple good quality clamps at a time like others have suggested. Good clamps are one of those things that you don't realize how awesome they are untill you have them and then wonder why you waited to get them.

Personally, I'm a Bessey man. I started buying Besseys 12 years ago and never looked back. I have almost every size in k body and a couple dozen heavy duty F style. I have thousands of dollar in clamps but I have been buying them for many years, building up the arsenal. 

Do yourself a favour and stay away from mediocre clamps. 

Watch for the sales. I got a bunch of Bessey K-body at Lee Valley for about 1/3 off. A few years later, got a bunch of parallel clamps they now carry (similar to Bessey Revo) for about the same deal. I really like those new clamps.

The Jet black Friday sale isn't really such a good deal in Canada. When exchange rate is factored in, the regular price is much higher than the competition. Even on sale, when shipping is considered, it's about a wash with the regular priced Bessey ect.

In the shorter lengths the Bessey k body Jr clamps are great. Much easier to maneuver , less expensive and still quite strong. The Peachtree  parallel clamps w the black & red plastic aren't a good deal. I have a few and they only get used when every other clamp that size is already being used . The K body Revo's are better than the Jets but the Jets are better than the old Bessey k body originals.

Pipe clamps and I beam clamps have their uses (and drawbacks) but I use mine less and less since getting a few long Besseys and 4 extender kits to couple 2 together.

Pretty obvious form the postings above that this is one area that you get what you pay for.

Jet always has a black Friday sale that's coming soon.  Or, buy one clamp per payday until you have what you need.  A couple hundred bucks isn't going to fill your clamp needs long term.

Watch for the sales. I got a bunch of Bessey K-body at Lee Valley for about 1/3 off. A few years later, got a bunch of parallel clamps they now carry (similar to Bessey Revo) for about the same deal. I really like those new clamps.

The Jet black Friday sale isn't really such a good deal in Canada. When exchange rate is factored in, the regular price is much higher than the competition. Even on sale, when shipping is considered, it's about a wash with the regular priced Bessey ect.

Frank, you can get Jet clamps where you are? We don't have them here.

Also, if you ever see a sale on Bessey clamps at Lee Valley post it on here. I've never seen a K body on sale- ever. I'd love to snatch a few up at 1/3rd off !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Just now, shaneymack said:

Frank, you can get Jet clamps where you are? We don't have them here.

Also, if you ever see a sale on Bessey clamps at Lee Valley post it on here. I've never seen a K body on sale- ever. I'd love to snatch a few up at 1/3rd off !

The Jet clamps aren't available here. Have to order from US & pay freight & brokerage fees.

The Bessey K-body clamps were on sale years ago. The more recent sale was when they started carrying the new Ehoma parallel clamps. It was an introductory sale. They are great clamps. Much better than K-body & about equivalent to Revo.

The Jet clamps aren't available here. Have to order from US & pay freight & brokerage fees.

The Bessey K-body clamps were on sale years ago. The more recent sale was when they started carrying the new Ehoma parallel clamps. It was an introductory sale. They are great clamps. Much better than K-body & about equivalent to Revo.

Thats why i stick to the revos. I figured the LV ones were about the same quality but they are more expensive than the revos.

Are the Revo's sold at Home Depot the same ones you are talking about? New to the "clamp game" and I know sometimes the big box stores sell lesser quality versions of popular items. 

If they are the same, you can generally find HD gift cards for 7-10% off through sites like giftcardzen.com, giftcardspread.com and abcgiftcards.com (all of which I have used successfully to the tone of several thousand bucks and, the one time I had an issue, I was promptly refunded). Generally you have to use them in-store only but you can combine that with a 5% or 10% coupon if can snag on to double dip

Thanks for the replys . I'm looking for  parallel clamps , and will be buying like one a month . I want to set it up on Amazon so I get one every month like toilet paper or tooth paste . I have about 40 f clamps from hf and they work fine for now . Also have 6 bar clamps in various lengths. I'll do some research on the jet vs bessy, and stay away from the cheap stuff I guess . 

1 hour ago, byegge said:

Thanks for the replys . I'm looking for  parallel clamps , and will be buying like one a month . I want to set it up on Amazon so I get one every month like toilet paper or tooth paste . I have about 40 f clamps from hf and they work fine for now . Also have 6 bar clamps in various lengths. I'll do some research on the jet vs bessy, and stay away from the cheap stuff I guess . 

I think you have the right idea.  When it comes to telling one parallel clamp from another they will seem similar in regular use.  The drop test is the killer.  During a few bake-offs, some clamps had parts just plain break off (Jet's fr one) while others bounced quite well ;-)

Seriously though, some folks find K-body clamps infuriating to slide while they work fine for me.  Others love the Jets that I find as clumsy as can be.  Try to get your hands on some because you will be perpetually unhappy if you have to fight your clamps to use them.

Just my 2 cents:

F-Style:  Look at shopfox (Grizzly) Heavy duty clamps.  They have a ~30 clamp set that really cheap per clamp.  The depth of reach on these is on par if not a little deeper than my parallel clamps (Bessey & JET)

Parallel:  Still my go to clamps.  I favor Jet over Bessey (both are great).  Black Friday sale is worth it if you are crazy enough to be out there.  Sometimes they'll be online, but most are in store only.  These are the best clamps IMHO, but they are also the most expensive.  I always start with these and move to my ShopFox F-style when the parallels are exhausted.  

Pistol Grip:  I've grown to hate these.  I used to use them all the time, but they are sub-standard in every way other than one handed operations.  Sometimes it's needed, but otherwise, there is almost always a better solution.

Pipe Clamps:  Best bang for your buck, but least reach.  You get about 1.5"-2" of clamping surface so you have to always use cawls.  While the pistol clamp has one handed operation, I feel like pipe clamps are 4 handed operation.  I am always screwing around with something to protect the work piece and then dancing back and fourth trying to align things.  Just annoying.

If you ever see Pony (Jorgenson) orange F style clamps available they are great clamps and last forever. Some of mine are 30 - 40 years old and have no problems. If the clutch slips after decades of wear you can remove the movable jaw by tapping out the pin at the bottom of the bar and just flip the clutch bars over and reinstall the jaw.

My work is different than most here so I tend to need shorter clamps the great majority of the time.  I that find having quite a lot of them is important, so differences in cost really add up.  The harbor freight 6" clamps are my go to clamp 95% of the time and I really like them especially since they are super inexpensive.  The 12" HF F clamps are a little too flexible, the 18" really bad, and the 24" pretty much useless at full extension.  I have a few in the 12, 18, and 24 inch sizes, but when extended they are only useful where really light pressure is enough.

While I really like the short HF clamps, for longer lengths or deep throat clamps, higher end clamps are much better.  I do have a couple Jorgensons that have worked flawlessly for many years and a couple newer Kreg long reach vice grip style clamps with large contact area that I find useful.

I have a lot of cheap c-clamps that were bought many years ago for a boat building project that are no joy to use.  I wish I had bought better on those.

On November 8, 2016 at 10:23 AM, shaneymack said:

Thats why i stick to the revos. I figured the LV ones were about the same quality but they are more expensive than the revos.

If you really wanted to try the Jet clamps I'd be willing to get some for you and meet you. I live about 2:30 away from the border and have family that I frequently visit that are only half an hour from the border, near Plattsburgh. I actually had a friend who brought back a toilet from Canada because apparently you can still get non low volume flush units in Canada, so I suppose it wouldn't be too odd to bring you some clamps.

If you really wanted to try the Jet clamps I'd be willing to get some for you and meet you. I live about 2:30 away from the border and have family that I frequently visit that are only half an hour from the border, near Plattsburgh. I actually had a friend who brought back a toilet from Canada because apparently you can still get non low volume flush units in Canada, so I suppose it wouldn't be too odd to bring you some clamps.

Very kind offer ! I am kind of set in my ways with the Besseys. They work well and I see no reason to hurt their feelings and cause all sorts of animosity in the shop by introducing another clamp brand. The other thing is that they would probably end up costing me more than buying Besseys here, due to the exchange rate and possibly getting screwed at the border for another 15% tax and any other ridonkulous fee they can slap me upside the head with.

Thanks for the offer ! Where abouts do you live?

I talked to my woodcraft guy yesterday and they said that the black Friday clamp sale will include 12" 24" 31"  and a very limited number of the 40".

I hooked him up with my Sawyer to get free green wood for the high school shop class he teaches at so he's going to put 4 of the 12's and 4 of the 24's aside for me

7 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Very kind offer ! I am kind of set in my ways with the Besseys. They work well and I see no reason to hurt their feelings and cause all sorts of animosity in the shop by introducing another clamp brand. The other thing is that they would probably end up costing me more than buying Besseys here, due to the exchange rate and possibly getting screwed at the border for another 15% tax and any other ridonkulous fee they can slap me upside the head with.

Thanks for the offer ! Where abouts do you live?

I totally understand, but figured if it was something you just had to have it would be easy enough for me to help you out. I live in Rensselaer County near Albany, NY. And for what it's worth, the only decent clamps I have ar Bessey Revos and that's probably what I'll stick with.

• Like 1