Woodpecker's Marketing Gimic?

Rex Edgar

Why does this company offer 'one time only' tools. I realize that if you presell and then manufacture what has been preordered, you can keep a close tether on costs and there will be no leftover stock. Is this a smart way to do business or ginning up demand with 'one time only' advertising. As a follow up are the tools worth the stout prices?

I think you nailed what they are doing. My understanding is the company is quite small. When you are small, you tend to run a tighter ship when it comes to inventory, costs etc. To manage your inventory to have nothing laying about and needing to be clearanced off at a lower margin is the ideal scenario.  That is answer one, it seems to be working and every company wants to work that way. 

Answer two, we will see because i just ordered the huge one time tool framing square. If they are guaranteed to the specs they state, then yeah, they are worth the prices. I think their items have some slick design features to them, and you are getting a quality item designed, made, and sold in this country. Whether having a $180-225 large square guaranteed to a certain spec is worth it to you is all about your work. If you have a sliding saw, MFT, track saw system, router and track system, big bandsaw with large resaw etc, then yeah i think the price is worth it. If my stuff isnt deadnuts on, i can quickly ruin a piece that is: A) valuable material, B] valuable hours of my time went into it. For example, if i wanted to resaw a 20" board of something moderately expensive on my bandsaw, if my blade to table is off of 90° ever so slightly, that difference is going to add up big time over 20". So much so that it could completely ruin my resaw efforts. Buying expensive calibration/layout tools isnt terribly exciting, but ive never regretted spending money on those items. Adjusting your tools to perform their best really pays dividends. 

I think some of them are objectively worth it and some objectively are not.  The big ass framing square I say is worth it because you can't find another square that large and that precisely made anywhere else.  The dowel maker is not because you can get a better one elsewhere (Veritas).  You can run down the list and some OTT's will be more debatable than others, and that's when it becomes a judgement call.

I think it's half marketing gimmick and half smart business strategy.  It allows them to test the waters with a small production run without excess cost or waste.  They can find out what kind of demand there is for a particular tool, how well it sells at a given price point, and get customer feedback to see what kind of changes could or should be made.  And the OTT also happens to work well for them because it creates that "feeding frenzy" type of consumerism with people who feel urgency to buy an item they may never have a chance to buy again.

Ultimately I think they're smart to do it, but you have to use your noodle and pick only the winners.  Most of the OTT's are superfluous type tools that are far from necessities...most of the time they're just expensive clones of traditional tools.  But occasionally they offer some very useful items.  Again I think at the top of the list are their larger squares, and I'm surprised they haven't made those standard fare since the interest seems to be so high.

• Like 1

I ordered the large framing square and I have two other, smaller squares and a straight edge. For me, it's worth it never having to second guess whether my square is square. As others mentioned the larger framing square makes many other things easier and more accurate. I'm also a sucker for the red. Plus, there is the intangible "it feels good in your hands" factor. Everything I have from them is superbly made and just feels solid. So it's worth it to me for the measuring and marking tools (some of the other more gimmicky stuff not so much).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If one wants to be pedantic then indeed a few of the tools have been redone.  That said I don't think it negatively impacts the buyer.  As a buyer one should consider these as an actual one time tool since the majority of them have not been repeated and even the ones that have usually have had a long wait in between.  It is doubtful that anyone is buying these expecting a cult like following to appear like BCTW has and therefore set them aside in hopes they gain value.  

In the end I am happy WP makes the ones time tools, there are some that have been really great for me, I honestly don't think they desrve the grief they get on the forums, except maybe for their delivery schedule.  

The Paolini pocket rule originally was 6" long. I have one in inches and a metric one. They are in my pocket every day and I use them constantly. They recently offered them again in several different lengths . So they expand the scope of successful products .

I got one of the large framing squares several years ago and I had waited over a year before they made another batch. 8 months later I saw one on eBay for $50 more than I paid including shipping. 

The saddle square started as a 4" version and the most recent batch offered 4" ,6",8" and 12". Another useful layout tool I use quite frequently. 4" and 6" are the ones I have.

I do agree some of the one time tools make no sense at all.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I've been wanting to ask this, and now seems like a good time. 

What about the carpenters square that is up for sale now? Worth buying?

6" isn't long enough,"she said". The photos make it look bigger. "Who are you gonna satisfy with that?", she said. "Me", I said.

• Like 1

I've been wanting to ask this, and now seems like a good time. 

What about the carpenters square that is up for sale now? Worth buying?

Just a few weeks back I bought their older version, and I thought it was better... Thicker aluminum for the body, all red anodized. Perhaps they are for different purposes and I'm just missing something though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My first and so far only one is the angle reference plate they had back in June and that should be shipping in the next few weeks (I hope). I used an older one like it (bevel buddy maybe?) and enjoyed it so I figured I would jump on the offering. Beyond that, I like a lot of what they offer, but my skills are in the 0.1" accuracy range so tools in the 0.001" accuracy range would be wasted :lol::lol:

It's a great sales pitch and marketing strategy: get all your orders and payments up front, and neutralise any possibility of overproduction. What's not to like for the manufacturer? They can even design outlandish tools, such as the over-priced and way-too-technical dowel maker, and not run the risk of creating a flop. It's just not the product for those what like to receive an order by return of post. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

There is a danger with WP creating flops. When they sit around the conference table deciding on what to charge for something like the dowel maker, their price is based on them being able to sell a certain number of them. I have a few of their tools, and they work just fine. Nothing special, they just work how they should.