Stacked Plywood Finish

lewisc

I'm asking forgiveness for the lack of fine wood working in the next post.  I'm trying out a few ideas I've come across. 

I'm building a stool for the wife using plywood and hairpin legs (please don't be mad) that I've made. The top is made from strips of plywood that I've glued together. It will be sanded soon and a round over will be put on it. 

Any suggestions for finishing the ply?

IMG_3892.JPG

2 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

lol He's been waiting on that one for a while.

That's cool, man. How thick are the strips? I agree with brendon, sand 'er down and toss a on a few coats of poly. I think a good layer of epoxy would work as well.

Thanks. I'll try to get a coat on tomorrow. I used about 20 strips that are 18mm thick. The final size is 350mm in diameter. 

When you say a layer of epoxy, could you explain that a bit more?

like this?

Edited by lewisc

I think it came out pretty good. What kind of plywood scraps did you use to build it ? Were there many voids to fill ? How did you flatten the seat after glue up? Did you glue up a square and then cut it round after flattening ?

i have a pretty constant supply of Baltic birch scrap that would work for a piece like that. The sculpted rocker is interesting but seems like hours of grinding and sanding were involved .

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I think it came out pretty good. What kind of plywood scraps did you use to build it ? Were there many voids to fill ? How did you flatten the seat after glue up? Did you glue up a square and then cut it round after flattening ?

i have a pretty constant supply of Baltic birch scrap that would work for a piece like that. The sculpted rocker is interesting but seems like hours of grinding and sanding were involved .

I started with a piece about 450mm x 1000mm of pine plywood. I think it was a BC ply. I've got plenty of oak and other random bits of timber which will be perfect for things like this. 

I cut strips at 50mm (2") on the table saw, glued them in a square using Titebond II, ran it through the thicknesser and drum sander and then cut it out on the bandsaw.  There were a few small voids. Probably about 4-5 that I filled with resin. 

Even with light passes on the thicknesser, the timber was a bit chewed up. The drum sander made quick work of that though. 

• Like 2