Sealing plywood from the elements

MisterDrow

My in-laws have asked if I would be able to make a couple of those slotted reindeer decorations for their yard. Happy to take on a simple project for them (they truly are wonderful people) I said I would love to.

My question is, what type of finish should I be using on the end product to seal it from the elements? We don't get a lot of lasting snow around here (SW Idaho)... we'll get one or two heavy snowfalls that might last a week or two and the rest of the season it's just cold and rainy. I had planned on using exterior house paint for them (they just want them to be white) but I wasn't sure if I should also be using some sort of wood sealer to help it all to last longer.

• Like 1

General finish also makes a very good paint.They call it milk paint but it's not a true Milk paint.It is more pricey the regular paint that you can buy at the Borg.

But al least it will dry hard and it's lovey to brush.

They have a good selection of colors including holiday red.

I wish someone would ask me to make holiday lawn decor its sounds fun.

Aj

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While you have the epoxy out, do all the edges. Then prime with and oil based primer. It penetrates the wood better than latex. Then use an exterior latex top coat.

If you really want it to last, use MDO plywood. I used it to replace my garage door jambs that had rotted out. That was several years ago & it still looks perfect.

• Like 1