paper towels for stain

treesner

Speaking of Jeff in Jeff Jewitt's book, he applies stain with his HVLP.  In regards to the paper towels I would think that you would have to constantly be changing them to keep from getting the lint in your project.

Most paint supply places have big bags of cotton cloth rags for next to nothing.

I use paper towels from Costco (Kirkland Brand Select-a-sheet or whatever they call the smaller sheets).  I use them whole for large work and bandsaw rolls into thirds which gives me a plethora of small pieces.

I use them with oils, oil varnish blends, dyes, shellac, etc.  My last couple coats on large open spaces go on with a cotton rag as I seem to get better results with something that can be loaded with a bit more finish per "dunk".

51 minutes ago, treesner said:

It seems like whenever I use rags they are ruined and can't be used again.

Uh, yeah.  Just like toilet paper.  They're disposable.

I don't like paper towels for finishing...they leave too much booger particle stuff behind for my taste.

Old t-shirts, the older the better.  You can buy them at Goodwill outlets for pennies per pound, literally.  Probably cheaper than toilet paper if you do the math.

• Like 1

Regarding a water-based stain ~

I find using paper towels will actually take off too much stain when wiping back. The paper towel will do too good of job removing the pigments from the wood that your trying to leave behind. A dry paper towel acts like a high grit abrasive sanding the stain off the tops of wood fibers. 

-Ace-