Finally doing something about my chaotic shop space

MisterDrow

Got all of my clamps up on the wall along with some table saw jigs I had made. Now they are no longer cluttering surfaces and are simple to find and store.

Tonight my goal is to get my workbench completely cleared off. No band saw, no scraps... just a clear workbench. I can't really use my benchtop band saw right now anyways since I need to get a new set of (tiny) allen wrenches to adjust the guides. It wanders WAY too much right now. I'm secretly hoping that I can find a nicer band saw via Craigslist before I need it. Now that I have a scroll saw I can get by on most things for now.

After the bench is cleared, I'll drill some dog holes and make a pipe-clamp vise. Planning on adding a couple shelves down below, too, to increase storage capacity. This bench will get moved out to the middle of my shop area to make it more usable once that area is cleared. That should hold me over until next Spring when I want to build a split-top workbench.

I'll be making a station for my band saw, drill press, and scroll saw in the coming weeks that sits where my workbench is now.

1 hour ago, MisterDrow said:

Planning on adding a couple shelves down below, too, to increase storage capacity.

You may want to think about what you want to store on the shelves before adding them.  Have a plan for your storage or the storage can quickly turn in to a catch all space and then you are back to square one.

• Like 1

Just now, Chet K said:

You may want to think about what you want to store on the shelves before adding them.  Have a plan for your storage or the storage can quickly turn in to a catch all space and then you are back to square one.

Excellent point. Up to now the garage has just been a place where I do things when needed... I am, for the first time, trying to actually have a purpose and set organization for my shop space so it can function as exactly that. I'm more than a little ashamed of the disaster that it has become but one step at a time and I'll have it fixed up and functional.

Me likes the chop saw stand, very clever! 

-Ace-

I can't take credit for the idea... found a video on YouTube for it. The guy who made it wanted something quick and easy to set up on job sites. I figured for what I'm currently trying to accomplish in the shop it would work well for me, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Much better! All that hard work is paying off!

Still have a ways to go but we had lots of space yesterday to work more on that desk I'm building.

The metal shelves next to the white cabinet and that god-awful pegboard are going away and I'm going to put up French cleats for some organizational things to hang on. I also need to make some scrap wood storage because the u-haul boxes I'm using aren't cutting it and that's only going to get worse.

• Like 1

Looking real good. I didn't get any before and after pics when I cleaned up my original shop. It gives you a really good feeling to be able to get to all your tools & parts and actually have room to do something.

Thanks! It still has a long ways to go but I had enough room and organization in place that I was able to get a ton of things done over the holiday. Felt really good, too!