I May Be a Wood-aholic

gee-dub

3 hours ago, mat60 said:

Do you have room for a new building just for your wood.

It's on mybucket list :D

2 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Is this from your local yard, or are you buying from random places?

It's from my usual supplier. I just happen to be in the area earlier today.

• Like 1

Jealous I am out if wood,I have one more bowl blank to turn and it's too heavy for my lathe.

Last week the city took out a very big maple from the park on my street.College park.

Man they had that thing down and stuff into a 40 yard dumpster before I could say Beetle juice three times.

Jerks.

Im done complaining.:angry:

Soon I'll be out hunting pallets at night.:ph34r:

Aj

12 hours ago, TIODS said:

First step is to admit you have a problem ;)

Definite problem....not enough storage space!!!

Funny, I landed a lacewood board almost the same way.  Went out for walnut (which I got), but the lacewood board was just so pretty and wanting to go somewhere.  So I obliged :)

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

Nice haul, GD.  Your lacewood looks more like leopardwood to me...same figure, darker color than lacewood.

Thanks Eric, I'm quite sure it is leopard.  The yard had a bin full and routinely carry this as "lacewood".  The weight and color are off for lacewood and I really probably shouldn't call it that just because they do :D.

To prevent me from steering other wrong through my loose talk . . .

lace versusleopard.JPG

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Thanks Eric, I'm quite sure it is leopard.  The yard had a bin full and routinely carry this as "lacewood".  The weight and color are off for lacewood and I really probably shouldn't call it that just because they do :D.

To prevent me from steering other wrong through my loose talk . . .

My dealer has a bunch of "lacewood" that looks a lot like leopardwood. Wonder if they get their exocits from the same mislabeled supplier?

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

My dealer has a bunch of "lacewood" that looks a lot like leopardwood. Wonder if they get their exocits from the same mislabeled supplier?

They just don't know the difference because they don't know anything about wood.  They're just dealers of material.

"What is this?"

"Who cares, call it lacewood...they won't know if we don't know."

• Like 1

im in the same boat as far as storage is concerned. I currently have a stack of sapele 3' by 3' on my floor 15" from my assembly table. Just enough room to sneak myself in to glue up panels. I hate having lumber crammed into every available space, but i also hate having to wait on a project because i need to first order the boards and then wait for them to acclimate. I have so many 4' long 8/4 shorts of walnut laying around right now. They are all 12"+ wide and almost all defect free with little to no sap. I cant bring myself to sell them for $2bdft or whatever price shorts would fetch, because they are perfect for table/chair legs etc. 

Im nervous to even go the shed route, because it wont help the situation, only enable more hoarding. 

On 11/12/2016 at 5:59 PM, mat60 said:

Do you have room for a new building just for your wood.

41 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Im nervous to even go the shed route, because it wont help the situation, only enable more hoarding. 

The problem never goes away, we just find more and more coping mechanisms :D

Well, I suppose if you bought the lumber yard...

• Like 1