Plywood Bassinet & Changing Topper

FlyinFish

Looks good.  People always want to build heirloom baby furniture, but I like your approach.  As a father of 3, I know for a fact that they outgrow everything quickly. 

GF high performance is a waterbase acrylic and can be brushed.  It won't yellow much at all.  

You could also use superblonde shellac.  It will amber slightly, but nothing like a polyurethane 

Very nice design and well executed. I would be concerned having my baby sleeping in a plywood built basinet though. All the formaldehyde glues in the ply can't be good for baby. I'm sure it must off gas for a long time. I could be off, I just wouldn't take a chance.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Congrats to you and your wife! I think you have taken the most practical approach to home-built baby furniture I have seen. It is a nice design, and appears to be a very clean execution, too. Personally, I would put some sort of finish on it, just as a barrier between brand new human and manufactured wood product. You're probably ok, but who wants to take chances with a kid?

The shellac option dries quickly, doesn't smell too bad, and is non-toxic, at least if you mix from flakes, and especially if you use drinking alcohol as a solvent. I'm not sure what residue the additives in pre-mixed shellac or denatured alcohol may leave behind. But in any case, he WILL be gnawing on it before long, so be prepared!

• Like 1