Table Wood ID

SimonR

Hi,

I am a table and I need to identify what it was made of, mostly to decide on options as it needs to be refinished. from memory it might be Cherry (Merisier) but I'm not sure. I forgot to take any top pictures but it was either painted or stained (I don't know if this makes much of a difference as to what can be done as far as new finish)

thanks!

Simon

so here are some pics of the unfinished underside

Table3.jpgTable2.jpg

Actually come to think of it I have 9lder pictures of the top from a couple years ago...Table_0302.jpgTable_0304.jpgTable_0309.jpg

6 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

looks like maple to me but I'm sure others will chime in, are you planning on changing the color, just new finish, the top also looks like it might be veneer to me so if you plan to sand be very careful as its likely to be thin, more info would help and welcome to the forum.

thanks Dave,

That is entirely possible that it is indeed maple, I'm quite new at this and I was trying to go with what was remembered from when it was made.

I didn't think that the top was veneered, I'll try to go take some pictures of the sides of the extension/top when the 2 sides meet. that should make it obvious if it's a veneered top correct?

new finish for sure as the current one has a couple spots with issues like in the second to last picture. I guess changing the colour would be dependant on whether or not this is a veneered top as well as which wood that actually is.

Simon

3 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

yep, a little investigation of the ends should tell you if its veneer or not and plan from there, i think if you want to re-stain it you may have to strip it with chemical strippers and sand lightly, i haven't done this so hopefully others who have walked in your shoes will chime in.

I'll try to get over there this weekend to snap some pictures of the ends. Hopefully that makes it obvious whether or not it is indeed veneered