Upgrade to a HEPA dust extractor from a shop vac?

CraigK

Hi everyone:

I work out of a small-ish basement shop and am concerned about fine dust particle collection.  I already have an overhead air filter as well as a small rolling dust collector (Jet DC-650) that I connect to whatever tool I am using.  For my finish sander and Domino, I am currently just using a shop vac (but no dust deputy or similar connected).  

I'm wondering if there is a benefit to upgrading the shop vac to a Festool/Fein/Bosch HEPA vac, or if you think that just keeping a shop vac and adding a dust deputy or similar solution is sufficient.  I wear a respirator while in the shop, but my main concern is minimizing the dust that might travel to other parts of the house where my wife and small kids are.  I don't mind saving up and spending the $500-$700 for the HEPA vac if it will significantly reduce the fine dust around and provide some peace of mind for me (I worry about it a lot, especially with the kids).

Any ideas?  Or maybe I'm being too paranoid about the whole thing?  Thanks!

I don't think that's too paranoid when it comes to small dust particle. Sanding produces the finest, but with a good vacuum & sander, you can eliminate almost all of it.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on one of those you mentioned, you can get a HEPA filter for a Ridgid vac that will do the job very nicely.

I run Clean Stream filters in my Ridgid vacs.  Although the price tag is a little shocking (about $35) I am still using a filter I bought in 2006.  Factoring in the life of the filter makes them cheaper than the "cheap" ones.

I added another filter when I added a second vac.  One is for ROS, router and general cleanup and the other one is for small machines in my area used for that.  I added a Dust Deputy and got rid of the large bin.  With the Dust Deputy I only clean the filter about twice a year. 

A major benefit of the Clean Stream is you just toss it on the lawn and hit it with the hose.  I actually have 3 filters; one in each vac and one on standby.  I pop the standby in when I hit a dirty filter with the hose.  Once the 'now clean' filter is dry it becomes the standby.

The noise level is not an issue for me as I am diligent about hearing protection.  If I am going to run a router or a ROS I am going to wear ear muffs.  Since the muffs are on I don't care about the screaming shop vac.  If your fellow cave dwellers (or even bat-sensitive neighbors) are an issue, the cost of a quieter vac becomes more reasonable. 

For me, one vac for the cost of five doesn't workout BUT, I am a selfish and self-centered shop-ogre.  If the noise chases others away . . . all the better. :D:D:D

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated!  I will look into HEPA filters / fine particulate bags for the shop vac for sure - all I can think about while cleaning up the shop is that I'm spewing fine dust particles everywhere.

Although I have a feeling that a Festool vac is in my future as I've decided that Santa is going to be bringing me a TS55 this year...