Night stands

logos

Golly, my wife was out of town and I only got part way done milling wood for my walnut nightstands and its been months since I started that project..... not 2 days. You are making me look bad! I suggest getting distracted with video games, or reading, or both. Then coming back to these projects in oh... 6 or 8 months.

• Like 2

This is AWESOME ! Very nice pieces. I particularly like the table. Looks like you have quite the shop as well. Why don't you post your projects more often? We need more project journals ! 

What did you do for joinery? I'd imagine if you completed all that in two days you used the domino?

Thanks!

Actually the Adirondack chairs were my last real project. I spent a lot of the fall reorganizing and tuning up the shop.

The joinery is all Dowelmax! I love that thing. I find it dead accurate and pretty fast. One day I might look at getting a domino, but I can't find a reason to yet.

I just ordered their new miter attachment which looks awesome!

12 hours ago, logos said:

Finally have the time to start a new project.

I found a few massive walnut beams at a garage sale this fall.

its almost impossible to find western walnut ply! Called 3 hardwood dealers and was told they don't make it.

Has anyone ever found western walnut ply?

What did you end up paying for the walnut beams?

What wood are you talking about as western walnut?  we have Claro and a lot of English walnut out here. don't think I've ever heard either called western wslnut.

Payed 50 per beam. They were all 8-10 feet long and about 8x8 Great deal but burly to mill.

I don't know my walnuts well. I

thought there were only black Claro and English... I was wrong. I live in Portland Or. The most common local type out here is western. All the local dealers don't carry much of it. I checked crosscuts, Moxon, woodcrafters. When I asked why it is not carried the response I got was that they don't have matching plywood so not a good seller.

I found a place called Gobi walnut that specializes in it, but the don't have plywood in it and don't know if it's even made in plywood.

I'm going to glue up 1/2panels today and then make raised panels. First time doing this. I just need to pick up a router bit for shaker style.

Any one have a good recommendation for a basic shaker style bit?

Thanks!

Lools awesome ! I might have missed something here but how will you fasten the panels to the rabbets?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I was going to make little brackets or use z brackets. I kind of started this project without a full plan. Im kind of working it through as I go... any obvious ideas that I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When you fit the panels into the rabbet leave about 1/8" gap on each side. Height shouldn't matter much. You could put a single screw in the center of the panel width at the top and bottom. A bracket/ button or z clip at all 4 corners should keep the panel in place.

Your night stands are looking great ! Don't forget to sign and date them .