Bought a Bench...

AstroDave

44 minutes ago, SplinteredDave said:

As much as I would like to have built a Roubo I have decided to take the "buy it" route.  I decided on the Sjoberg 2000 Elite with the cabinet.  Woodpeckers has it on sale with free shipping.  I feel like I need to apologize for buying vs building :)  I was watching Marc's video where is said the skills he learned when building his Roubo will most likely never be used again.  Obviously the pride I would take in the accomplishment would be sweet but in the end lazyness won the day :)  Maybe one day ... or perhaps I can retro-fit that sweet benchcrafted leg vise on to the Sjoberg... hmmmm

Got pictures of the bench?

1 hour ago, SplinteredDave said:

As much as I would like to have built a Roubo I have decided to take the "buy it" route.  I decided on the Sjoberg 2000 Elite with the cabinet.  Woodpeckers has it on sale with free shipping.  I feel like I need to apologize for buying vs building :)  I was watching Marc's video where is said the skills he learned when building his Roubo will most likely never be used again.  Obviously the pride I would take in the accomplishment would be sweet but in the end lazyness won the day :)  Maybe one day ... or perhaps I can retro-fit that sweet benchcrafted leg vise on to the Sjoberg... hmmmm

No need to apologize.  You might prove to be the smartest of us all. I built mine.  I loved the process but I think back about all the time I spent working on the bench that I could have devoted to other projects.  I can also tell you that you really don't save money by building a "quality" bench once you account for lumber, vise(s), and labor, etc.  You will have a really nice bench and you can start working on projects.  After yo do a couple of projects, you will be happy with your decision.  Good on you.

• Like 2

No need to apologize, I looked long and hard at those last year when they were on sale.  Same one you bought.  In the end I built a Nicholson bench which is no big challenge.  I think you are going to be happy with your bench and decision.

13 minutes ago, Chet K said:

No need to apologize, I looked long and hard at those last year when they were on sale.  Same one you bought.  In the end I built a Nicholson bench which is no big challenge.  I think you are going to be happy with your bench and decision.

What was the "on sale" price? Looking for a rough idea, that's all...I have no idea what they cost, but was shocked at the cost of BC hardware and the lumber cost for a ruobo...

33 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

What was the "on sale" price? Looking for a rough idea, that's all...I have no idea what they cost, but was shocked at the cost of BC hardware and the lumber cost for a ruobo...

$2150 which includes the cabinet and the accessory kit...

http://www.woodpeck.com/sjoeliteworkbench.html

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Got pictures of the bench?

http://www.woodpeck.com/media/main_33458_ELITE_2000_33464__cupboard.jpg

Well stock picture at least... once I get it I will post the actual "in shop" pic :)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Llama said:

Now that you have a nice workbench, I hope to see some projects in the journal! 

Well don't be shocked when you see something from my CNC as well... I am such a blasphemer... :)  Buy a bench, use a CNC.  I may get banned if I use a nail ;)

• Like 2