Stain Colors

IAHawk

Hello

I am looking for some help on finishing my project I have been working on. I had a bunch of leftover wood and I made some necklace/bracelet holders. I made the out of varying types of wood, Walnut, Maple, Mahogany,Cherry and 1/4 sawn white oak. My plan is to stain them but do not want use the same color for all of them and with the walnut I am just going to leave them natural with coat of finish. What are some good colors for these? I know it is a loaded question. I do not want to go buy a bunch of different stains and experiment and find out there are some U do not like then I am stuck with it having used it. The maple is the hardest to find a suitable color I think. Also I have two colors of Mahogany. I have never used dyes, are they difficult, what are some good brands? I usually use Minwax brands. If there is a another brand where is a good place to purchase them?

Thanks

Just how colorful do you want to go? Trans-tint is a popular brand of wood dye, usually sold at places like Rockler or Woodcraft. Sherwin-Williams carries a line of wood dyes that use acetone solvent. If you want bright colors, rather than natural wood tones, even RIT fabric dye from walmart does a decent job. Whichever you pick, test it on some scraps first. Its almost impossible to judge what the color will look like until you see it.

To align with Eric's statement: walnut, use oil-based poly. Cherry - expose to direct sunlight until desired darkening is achieved, then apply an oil-based clear coat. Mahogany - oil based clear coat. Maple - water based poly, or clear lacquer to avoid banana color. White oak looks good under oil or water based poly. Quarter-sawn white oak can be 'enhanced' with an application of a medium dark dye, followed by a light sanding before clear coat. This treatment increases the contrast between the grain and ray flecks. Not always a good look, but sometimes stunning.