Not sure where to start

GamingRabbit

A few years ago we got my dad a mini lathe for Christmas and because we knew so very little, we didn't realise you need tools specific to a mini lathe. My parents have never been very big online shoppers, so my mom's searches in various Home Depot's has not exactly yielded much success. I've been searching online all day and have found so many different tools that all look so different and I have no idea where to begin.

There doesn't seem to be much consistency or indication of what a "starter" set would have in it. I can find a good deal of information on non mini lathes, and I can't seem to make the search results for metal lathes go away, but there is so little on mini lathes. We have small budget for most things so it would really suck to get him tools that he can't use because they are more optional and less necessity. So what exactly are the tools you need to have in order to be able to get a start on learning?

Also there seems to be a lot of differences in appearance and I'm not sure how much is just aesthetic and how much is actually important. Some handles look like polished straight pieces of wood, and some look like the result of a mini lathe project and take great pride in the type of wood they are made from. Is any of that important, or just for show?

Any help on this would be great.

For a mini lathe, mini tools are completely appropriate.  My lathe is a smaller midi lathe, but the mini tool set I got to start out, also not knowing much, worked out very well.   I use these tools all the time for smaller work.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KIAE2Q

They're probably the cheapest entry level tools you can get to start off turning, while still having some quallity to them.  The major downside to traditional turning tools is you have to keep them sharp.  And that means a sharpening system, which at the very least is over $100 if you build your own, a few hundred if you buy premade. 

As dab mentioned, a carbide tool is probably your best bet, as it really doesn't ever need sharpening (and if they do, it's usually easier/cheaper to just buy a new bit), and is a lot less forgiving with mistakes.  With my lathe came a tool handle and a set of interchangeable tips.  It's excellent for getting a good starter set, as it allows for roughing, spindle, and detail work.  I've done a bowl using just these tools before, so it's possible, but I'm not sure I'll do it again.  This set runs considerably cheaper than comparable setups, and it shows in some aspects, but it still remains a goto tool on my lathe.  https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXMSET.html

So between the two tool (sets), I'd have to recommend the carbide set, as it is considerably more versatile and safer. 

Remember, with a mini lathe, he's not going to be turning Huge bowls, vases or staircase banisters.  He'll be doing pens (there's another rabbit hole of gadgets), bottle stoppers, drawer knobs, and other little dodads.  He doesn't need a Sorby Diamond enccrusted, unicorn hair reinforced handled, laser tipped tool.  He might not even like turning, so don't go getting some high end stuff.  A lot of turners started off with a homemade drill powered lathe before they got into it.