Grizzly 12" Ultimate Jointer - G9860

Pwk5017

38 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Thanks P. 

You bet! Probably long winded, but i know i rely on tools reviews when i make a purchase. I wish more guys reviewed stuff like this, because a lot more is on the line when you are dropping $4,000-5,000 on a tool versus $500 on a DW735. 

Next couple months will have the PM209hh, supermax 37x2, and Laguna Italian LT20, I think. The PM209 will be interesting, because a local woodworker i talk to just bought the 1033 grizzly planer. Actually, now that i think about it he bought the GO609 too! I should update after i see both machines in person. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Thank this is very helpful. Keep 'em comin. 

How did you find out the high school was selling the jointer? Did you make contacts ahead of time, or did you just happen to see the for sale ad?

Yes, I was discussing another tool at the time. The seller is a retired woodworker turned part time tool liquidator. I think he buys up smaller shops or school shops and then parts them out. Well, he mentioned he was looking at a HS shop to me and thats when i discovered the griz. I dont want to mention how much i pay for tools anymore, because its too easy to recognize my floors--had people on CL find my posts here and know what i paid for the tool originally--but it was a good price. Even with $300-350 shipping, it was a good buy. All the local school shops ive seen have been CRAP. Curious that this school went ahead with a 12" machine, somewhat overkill for HS kids, but shut the program down 6-7 years later. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 0:40 PM, Pwk5017 said:

All the local school shops ive seen have been CRAP. Curious that this school went ahead with a 12" machine, somewhat overkill for HS kids, but shut the program down 6-7 years later. 

Maybe overkill for the students, but if the funding was there and the shop teacher was allowed to spend it and he/she wanted a larger/fancier machine, I can see it making sense. Or maybe it was donated.

I've had a couple of conversations with folks in the tool business lately, and one stands out.... It was a Griz customer service manager.....  His and all the others seem to be of the opinion that the tools from Taiwan have way better quality control than those that come from China,  He based that on the complaints and returns..... Seems that the Chinese stuff gets returned twice as much as the other.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Felt this tid bit was worthy of an update. Shortly after writing this review, i considered a used 16" single phase jointer. I started my due diligence by looking for reviews on this euro 16"er. Well, i was shocked to see one pro comment on adjusting the swing of the blade guard. He said the guard pinging into the fence will knock it out of alignment, in his experience. For those that endured my wordy review above, my biggest complaint featured the fence's poor ability to hold its settings. I had the guard set to cover the entire cutterhead, which did result in it tapping the fence lightly on each pass. I altered it to miss contacting the fence by an inch and to date the fence has held its 90° setting. I still keep an eye on it, but there is a chance this simple alteration cured my biggest gripe. Something to consider for everyone that owns a porkchop guard.

• Like 2