Padauk "smoke"?

Marmotjr

Turned a segmented bowl tonight that has a ring of padauk in it, and I got some beautiful shavings from it.  One thing I like to do for mini gifts during the holidays is take shavings (or cotton if shavings aren't available), stuff them into mini cupcake cups, and pour hot wax over them, making nifty little decorative fire starters.  They're very effective, One of these mini cups will start your average sized logs burning within 15 minutes without kindling. 

The Padauk, along with the Maple and Pine I have from this bowl, make a very festive looking pile of shavings.  I'm concerned though about the vapors/smoke from burning padauk.  I know it's a pretty hefty irritant/sensitizer, etc, but that's the dust, etc.  There doesn't seem to be much info on the smoke, aside from some people like to make pipes from it....    

Any opinions or suggestions on this? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2016 at 10:47 PM, Marmotjr said:

I know it's a pretty hefty irritant/sensitizer, etc, but that's the dust, etc.  There doesn't seem to be much info on the smoke, aside from some people like to make pipes from it....   

Any opinions or suggestions on this? 

I think padauk sensitivity is pretty rare and it's not listed as a respiratory problem anyway, but JUST IN CASE you should get the recipients to sign a waver saying that if they die from it their heirs will not be allowed to hold you responsible. :lol:

• Like 1