Bosch 1250DEVS

bleedinblue

Anyone have one?  I just ordered it because I'm dreading sanding a kitchen tabletop I'm about to finish.  I underestimated how hard it would be to move around the 6/4 top and it got a couple gouges from the workbench.  On top of that, my wife tasked me with refinishing an old entertainment center and turning it into a play kitchen for our baby.

This seems to get fantastic reviews and is comparable to the Rotex, at less than half the price. 

I have this one, ROS65VC-6-RT (reconditioned) from CPO (link below), which is similar to the 1250DEVS, but doesn't have the bigger motor to go into 'turbo' mode.  So it's basically the same as using the 1250 in normal ROS mode.  It has been a really good sander, two thumbs up. If you are really going to do a lot of refinishing work, the upgrade to the 1250 will pay off, but for normal work it's unnecessary. And I'd prefer to avoid refinishing work, so I avoided that sander :) 

Anyway, there are 21 reviews on CPO for the 1250 right now, I'd suggest checking those out, they seem to be pretty positive.

(ROS65)

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-ros65vc-6-rt-6-in--variable-speed-random-orbit-sander-with-vibration-control/bshrros65vc-6-rt,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=bshrros65vc-6-rt&gclid=COOwsI7qxdACFU9cfgodOlkA0w

(1250DEVS)

http://www.cpooutlets.com/bosch-1250devs-6-in--dual-mode-random-orbit-sander-polisher/bshn1250devs,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=bshn1250devs&gclid=CLHXhYnqxdACFUeCfgod2REP9g

I don't want to do any refinishing, ever.  History tells me though, that unless I take away my wife's Pinterest account, she'll keep throwing awful projects my way.  She also brought home a chest of drawers a few weeks ago "just in case" we have a second kid.  That is nowhere on the radar mind you, so now there is another refinishing project, that we don't need, taking up basement space.

• 2 weeks later...

So holy crap, this thing is a beast.  Not necessarily in a good way, either.

I used it to sand a 36x60 cherry tabletop.  Slight shifting during glue up, and worse than that some gouges from moving the top around the shop, meant some pretty aggressive sanding was needed.

I used some 60 grit and let it eat.  I covered the top in chalk to gauge progress.  Now with my Dewalt 5 inch sander, this would have taken forever.  With the Bosch, it was relatively quick.  However, and I expected it from reviews, this thing knocks you all over the place.  It is dang near uncontrollable at times, meaning you have to lift off.  It truly takes both hands and full concentration.    

I went through the grits up to 220.  The 220, in the fine/regular sanding mode, left quite a few pig tails. Perhaps my vac was too strong.

Is the Rotex difficult to control?

41 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

So holy crap, this thing is a beast.  Not necessarily in a good way, either.

I used it to sand a 36x60 cherry tabletop.  Slight shifting during glue up, and worse than that some gouges from moving the top around the shop, meant some pretty aggressive sanding was needed.

I used some 60 grit and let it eat.  I covered the top in chalk to gauge progress.  Now with my Dewalt 5 inch sander, this would have taken forever.  With the Bosch, it was relatively quick.  However, and I expected it from reviews, this thing knocks you all over the place.  It is dang near uncontrollable at times, meaning you have to lift off.  It truly takes both hands and full concentration.    

I went through the grits up to 220.  The 220, in the fine/regular sanding mode, left quite a few pig tails. Perhaps my vac was too strong.

Is the Rotex difficult to control?

Did you still have it in the 'turbo' mode after the first couple grits? 

• 2 weeks later...

I got two coats of ARS on this table top before I could see the numerous rough scratches.  I used my $60 Dewalt and went back through the grits, giving me an acceptable surface in about 20 minutes.

Really bummed with this thing.  I chose it over the ROS65 because of the much higher amperage rating, it looks like I'm selling the 1250 and buying a 65.  I accidentally threw away the box, so no returns.  At least it seems to be a hot item on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

If I needed to sand floors, or a deck, or something like that by hand....I'd be OK with the 1250 and I bet it'd do great.  For a smooth finish though, it just didn't cut it.  It's got overwhelming positive reviews, I have to assume the market is for contractors and serious DIY'ers, not fine woodworkers.

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

What is an ROS65?  

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-ros65vc-6-rt-6-in--variable-speed-random-orbit-sander-with-vibration-control/bshrros65vc-6-rt,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=bshrros65vc-6-rt&gclid=COOwsI7qxdACFU9cfgodOlkA0w

I'm quite happy with my ROS65. Has taken quite a bit of tweaking to reduce suction from my Ridgid vacuum to not suck it down too much. Used two adapters where the Bosch hose goes into my Dust Deputy and put some holes in it. Still jumps around a touch under vacuum, runs great without it but I don't like dust...

I suppose that means I need a CT36. Which means I need a Domino to get the 10% discount. This is beginning to sound like what happens when you give a mouse a cookie. When it's nice outside I just sand with the doors open and respirator on but that's not so nice at the moment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2016 at 0:55 PM, AJ_Engineer said:

I'm quite happy with my ROS65. Has taken quite a bit of tweaking to reduce suction from my Ridgid vacuum to not suck it down too much. Used two adapters where the Bosch hose goes into my Dust Deputy and put some holes in it. Still jumps around a touch under vacuum, runs great without it but I don't like dust...

I suppose that means I need a CT36. Which means I need a Domino to get the 10% discount. This is beginning to sound like what happens when you give a mouse a cookie. When it's nice outside I just sand with the doors open and respirator on but that's not so nice at the moment.

You say your sander jumps around under vacuum, what about swirl marks/pig tails?  I used my sander for the first time today and it was awesome.  I used it with the vacuum attached, and it did want to walk away a little bit, but it was SOOOO much easier to control than the 1250.  I could easily control it with one hand.  I didn't notice any pig tails.  This thing is a winner and a welcome addition.

2 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

You say your sander jumps around under vacuum, what about swirl marks/pig tails?  I used my sander for the first time today and it was awesome.  I used it with the vacuum attached, and it did want to walk away a little bit, but it was SOOOO much easier to control than the 1250.  I could easily control it with one hand.  I didn't notice any pig tails.  This thing is a winner and a welcome addition.

No pigtails unless I'm moving it too quickly along the surface at higher grits.

• Like 1