New Laguna Dust Collectors

jplemons

I remember a couple of posts in some recent threads and on Facebook about dust collectors that mentioned the new Lagunas. There was some discussion that the more squat offerings from Laguna wouldn't work. I found this review of two of the newer models and it seems very positive. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just picked up the 3hp PFLUX1 unit from Rockler... Free shipping and 10% off.  Decided to buy one rather than build one :)

Had a Clearvue that I ordered and doh!!! found was too tall and sold for what I paid for it.  This will work and has some nice features...(bin sensor, filter sensor, HEPA, quiet) Time will tell if the squished cyclone size has any real substantive impact for my hobby use.  They recently put a great assembly video...although half the "fun" I often have is figuring out how to put this stuff together.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone would say they wouldn't work they are just by design (the nature of physics) less efficient at filtering fines than a properly designed taller cyclone.  The properly shaped cyclones will reduce filter loading and extend the period between filter replacement and save money in the long run.  If you believe the Laguna marketing and supported "reviews" like the one here they have decreased the gap between their old cyclones and the physical limits of the shorter cyclone, which is good.   These cyclones have their place, where one needs either a portable cyclone or has height limitations, if not it is probably better to pick one of the standard cyclones in 3 or 5 HP from Oneida or a Clear Vue, the long term cost will almost certainly be lower and the maintenance will be lower as well.  

Agree completely...my restrictions forced this decision. I would have preferred to make the Clearvue work. As some have said in other reviews the shorter cyclone will require more frequent filter cleaning or replacement thus why i expect they added the sensors on this model.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Let us know how you like the Laguna.   Looking at Rockler the 10% off shows up but looks like shipping is $75.  Did you have to sweet talk them into the free shipping?

I am having a hard time deciding b/w the Onedia Gorilla PRO vs. the P:Flux 3.    The Pflux is a few hundred dollars cheaper and includes the sensors, remove and the nicer drum system.   We just got a 37" drum sander so need to step up the DC setup!

Good point on the shipping... looks like the coupon I had failed to apply.  So add 75 to that price.  I am upgrading from a 1.5hp Laguna unit...older (3yrs).  I will post my comments as soon as I can, once it's installed.  My primary tool is the CNC... the 1.5 HP unit just wasn't cutting it.  This has significantly higher CFM so I hope it solves the problem.

3 hours ago, fireball said:

Let us know how you like the Laguna.   Looking at Rockler the 10% off shows up but looks like shipping is $75.  Did you have to sweet talk them into the free shipping?

I am having a hard time deciding b/w the Onedia Gorilla PRO vs. the P:Flux 3.    The Pflux is a few hundred dollars cheaper and includes the sensors, remove and the nicer drum system.   We just got a 37" drum sander so need to step up the DC setup!

Keep in mind drum sanders and wide belt sanders produce a lot of dust and almost all of it is the hard to separate fines which is just what causes filter loading issues with the shorter cyclones.   If money is an issue you could look at the Oneida V series cyclones.  

I have a new Laguna 1.5 HP, and am mostly satisfied.  I'm using it with flexible hoses - I wheel it up to the machine I'm using.  Note that the 1.5 HP is only configured for 120V (would have preferred 240V.)  If anything is plugged into the same circuit with the DC, it dims or slows when the DC is on. A friend with the same unit notes that the DC plus any other tool on the same circuit will flip the breaker.

27 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

I have a new Laguna 1.5 HP, and am mostly satisfied.  I'm using it with flexible hoses - I wheel it up to the machine I'm using.  Note that the 1.5 HP is only configured for 120V (would have preferred 240V.)  If anything is plugged into the same circuit with the DC, it dims or slows when the DC is on. A friend with the same unit notes that the DC plus any other tool on the same circuit will flip the breaker.

I didn't look it up but I would guess the FLA of the motor is between 15 and 19 amps on 120v so on a standard 20 amp circuit there is almost no room for much else.  DC really needs a dedicated outlet but that is complicated on a portable DC.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HuxleyWood said:

I didn't look it up but I would guess the FLA of the motor is between 15 and 19 amps on 120v so on a standard 20 amp circuit there is almost no room for much else.  DC really needs a dedicated outlet but that is complicated on a portable DC.  

Yup.  I planned for dedicated 240.  Probably should have stuck with it.  In fact I bought my unit with the belief that I could wire it for 240, but found out otherwise when I called customer service.

By the way, the video's that Dave mentions are probably a good idea - the manual (at least the early version with my unit) had mistakes and omissions.  Note that the unit comes unassembled on a crate (my crate was ordained with swastikas!)

All in all, there is lots to like about the DC.  As is to be expected, bigger may be better.

51 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

Yup.  I planned for dedicated 240.  Probably should have stuck with it.  In fact I bought my unit with the belief that I could wire it for 240, but found out otherwise when I called customer service.

Funny when I looked at the site a few minutes ago the CFlux1.5hp can be run on 120 or 240 but the PFlux 1.5hp is only 120v.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Funny when I looked at the site a few minutes ago the CFlux1.5hp can be run on 120 or 240 but the PFlux 1.5hp is only 120v.  

Hux, thank you for the perceptive observations.

It looks like I have  CFlux, and the label specifically says 110V/220V.  I'll follow up with Laguna, and let the board know what they say.

DC.JPG

1 hour ago, HuxleyWood said:

Followup:  First off, you nailed it - the power requirement of the DC is 18.8A (see nameplate, above.)

Secondly you inspired me to identify my circuits and reposition my major machines, with very little effort resulting in more available/usable space, better access to all tools, much better power cord management, and with the DC on a lesser used circuit, not shared by other power tools or the shop vac.

I feel like I owe you a beer, but you may have to come to McCall, ID to collect.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like these are popular units.  Got word this week that my dust collector is on back-order and is not expected to ship until February 22nd!  I ordered in on January 6th...

I am hoping they don't charge my CC until it ships as otherwise I will be a little ticked at Rockler.

Rockler is on my @#$t list.  CC charged and I won't have my DC until early March.  Probably about a 2mo wait.  Yes I understand standard business procedures etc etc... I won't be going to Rocker for any future purchases... waaaaaaaabulance wailng loudly :)

38 minutes ago, SplinteredDave said:

Rockler is on my @#$t list.  CC charged and I won't have my DC until early March.  Probably about a 2mo wait.  Yes I understand standard business procedures etc etc... I won't be going to Rocker for any future purchases... waaaaaaaabulance wailng loudly :)

That is super frustrating.  

On 1/27/2017 at 4:19 PM, SplinteredDave said:

Have you tried contacting Laguna directly? If it's available for purchase, cancel your Rockler order and go directly through laguna. 

I think the only thing you can get directly from Laguna is the CNC gear.  You can find out for sure on their website.  Also you can see what other retails carry the model you want and then contact them.  I think Acme tools is one and they would have free shipping on something like this.

On 1/29/2017 at 1:22 PM, Chet K said:

I think the only thing you can get directly from Laguna is the CNC gear.  You can find out for sure on their website.  Also you can see what other retails carry the model you want and then contact them.  I think Acme tools is one and they would have free shipping on something like this.

My uncle ordered his 14SUV directly from Laguna. He called them, didn't go through their website.

I ordered my bandsaw from this place http://thisiswoodworking.com/laguna-tools/ and it went well, especially the call from the freight company. I believe most places just drop ship, though, so if there's an inventory issue it may be based with Laguna. Can't hurt to call Laguna directly and see what's up.

On another side, I guess I should apologize for linking to this video without actually researching the source better. It was the only "test" I could find and seemed legit at first. However, now I can see how the validity of the source could be in question. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the manufacturer as far as any real-world data and performance is concerned. I'm hoping the series lives up to this video because I think it fits my needs. I'm just building up my savings to afford one of these and a jointer.