Shop Almost Complete

Cheeset202

Yes the jointer is there as well!  The planer is the older vintage (80's) Delta 13", still works great and it was given to me by the guy who built my house when I lived in British Columbia.  The jointer is an 8" delta, again older version (90's) that works great.  They both need a lot of clean up given they have been in storage close to 4 years,  3 of them in Louisiana!  My table saw is a delta unisaw with the Incra fence system.  Interestingly it was treated with Boeshield before going into storage and there is not a spot of rust.  I should have treated the other equipment!  Cut-off saw is a Mikita 10" sliding compound (cannot see in pics).  I have a Powermatic drill press and a Rikon 18" bandsaw and Rikon combo sander.  I have a Performax 16-32 drum sander and a small Delta 12" bandsaw.  Next big investment will be a Clearvue cyclone vented out the back of the shop.  My backyard is several thousand acres of N Idaho forest so I don't think a little fine dust particles will cause much environmental problems!  I will have to add an air intake to compensate for the cyclone venting outdoors as the shop has a gas heater.  I have been debating on using Norfab ducting but I need to get a quote on cost first!  I just changed my fluorescent lights (8' T12) from  4100k to 5000k and it made huge difference in lighting.  I added a couple of LED's over my workbench for added light.  I know you guys are will give me a hard time (given the car in the shop) but I also had to take up 200 ft2 for my storage of motorcycles and sled!  Bring on the jabs!  Maybe I will rent a storage unit for my toys, but honestly I have been using such small shops in the past that this one is a a major upgrade.  My first shop in the early 80's was basically a large storage closet about 200 ft2 and I built a barristers bookcase and an ice chest in that!  Back then I had a tabletop table saw and a 4" bench jointer.  I have added some more pics for my shop tour.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Shaneymack, No the jointer is not the DJ 20 ( a great jointer by the way) it is a cheaper version that came out after the DJ 20. It's labeled as a professional jointer but it is not as robust as the older DJ 20.  It does work great once it is setup properly (like most woodworking tools) and I have been debating to upgrade to a helical head, just not sure it's worth the investment.  I sharpen my knives on a tormek and hone on the head in between sharpening.  

Shaneymack, No the jointer is not the DJ 20 ( a great jointer by the way) it is a cheaper version that came out after the DJ 20. It's labeled as a professional jointer but it is not as robust as the older DJ 20.  It does work great once it is setup properly (like most woodworking tools) and I have been debating to upgrade to a helical head, just not sure it's worth the investment.  I sharpen my knives on a tormek and hone on the head in between sharpening.  

Oh. I was just curious as I used to have a dj-20 and it was great !

As for the helical head, I have one on my powermatic pj882hh jointer and really like it. For me it is absolutely worth the investment never having to sharpen knives or mess around with re- setting them. Its also much queiter and doesn't have any issues with any funky grain. Of course it comes down to finances and some people don't think these things are worth the price increase. My time is valuable and the less time I spend doing anything to a machine the more time I get to work with wood.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shaneymack, yes I have heard nothing but great reviews on the helical heads, given I am just a hobbiest and have low production justifying the $400 for a new head would be tough.  If I ever decide to make the plunge I will probably buy a new jointer with a helical head, love Powermatic equipment, just need to start teaching woodworking online like the Woodwhisperer  and pick up a  sponsorship ......not going to happen.......looks like a lot of high tech Internet and video work for my old brain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2016 at 9:42 PM, Klappco said:

Welcome! I live in Liberty Lake and work in Post Falls so welcome to that neighborhood as well!

Hey Klappco.

I live in Spokane and work in Liberty Lake.

I think there are 1 or 2 others of us from this area.  We should co-ordinate a meetup sometime, schedules permitting of course!