Networking Groups

ulloa_josh

I'm trying to find ways of getting the word out about my woodworking business and was thinking of joining a local entrepreneurial group through meetup.com. Just wondering if anyone has found it useful to join something like this to promote their work. Or what are some ideas for marketing yourself and bringing in clients? Thanks!

Post cards, shows, galleries have all worked well for me. It really comes down to the type of work you do & the type of client you are looking for. The marketing I did when my work was mainly cabinets and built ins, etc was far different than it is now for studio furniture. It also depends on your marketing budget.

I'm trying to find ways of getting the word out about my woodworking business and was thinking of joining a local entrepreneurial group through meetup.com. Just wondering if anyone has found it useful to join something like this to promote their work. Or what are some ideas for marketing yourself and bringing in clients? Thanks!

1. Get off the Internet!

Yes, do join local business groups. Better yet, seek out artisan guilds where you will meet others that are trying to do what you want. High touch is better than high tech.

2. Get in touch with your market.

Display your stuff in front of your intended market to get honest feedback. Be prepared to reevaluate your market and to refine who should be selling to.

3. Seek EXPERT feedback.

Once you realize there is nothing unique about what you want to do, you can seek out the advice of those that have been successful. Naysayers abound, chose to associate with winners.

4. Don't eat yellow snow.

• Like 1

There is one thing I forgot to add. You can put on your own show. Once you have a number of pieces to show invite your target clients to your shop or studio. Invite them via post cards or simple but nice flyers you can leave in paper boxes of target neighborhoods. Even run an add in the community paper about the showing. It does work, I've done it myself years ago. Team up with another artist or two of different mediums to make the show a little more special. Think of it as your own gallery night, invite interior designers and other related business as well.

Ok, thanks for the responses. I'm almost through taking Adam King's course and have been getting a lot of good info from his website. The "get off the internet" comment is kind of what I'm aiming for. I've got a website, facebook page and now twitter acct., so I'm more than covered online, but it's the real world stuff that feels overwhelming right now.

So far my customers have been family/ friends and it was all cutting boards which is fine but ideally I want to design and build furniture pieces. My plan for now is to build stuff and display it at local craft shows and of course on etsy.

Regardless of how much work you put into a website it is still primarily a form of passive selling. More importantly, internet selling is not a focused marketing tool. Take every opportunity to get in front of perspective buyers and get real "touchy-feely" feedback.

Use internet marketing as a supplement, not a replacement, for selling your stuff.

Craft shows and Etsy can work well for the right items, choose them both carefully. High dollar items tend not to sell well on Etsy, same is true for showing furniture at craft shows. However, they are great starting points for you to grow from. Artfire may also be something for you to look into. Once you make your move to high end furniture you do have to focus on high end shows and galleries. I think it would be a good idea for you to start visiting these shows and galleries now and start talking to the makers and artists. I'm happy to read that you want to get offline. A website, Etsy, Artfire will only get you so far. It is vital for you to take your work to be seen in person. HoBo has it right 'high touch is better than high tech'

When you visit the shows and talk to the makers and artists you will find out first hand just how true that statement is. A website set up for selling widgets & small crafts may work well, but not for selling high end furniture. You need to make the in person connection.

If you have the time follow my blog this year: http://djofurnituremaker.wordpress.com/ You will get a glimpse of what exhibiting and working with galleries is like. I'll also share my marketing steps along the way. Etsy items, selling on Etsy will be a topic I'll focus on very soon.

• Like 1

Regardless of how much work you put into a website it is still primarily a form of passive selling. More importantly, internet selling is not a focused marketing tool. Take every opportunity to get in front of perspective buyers and get real "touchy-feely" feedback.

Use internet marketing as a supplement, not a replacement, for selling your stuff.

Well said HoBo. Many, if not all exhibitors, myself included, say the same thing.

Great feedback. I listened to a few of Adam King's podcast's today where he goes over targeting your marketing and advertising. What's worked for him and what hasn't, etc..

Lots to figure out but career wise I've never been happier, especially after two layoffs in the last 3 years. I'm broke, but happy :)