delta planer knife gouge, help!

Ryan Gilley

I have a delta portable 22-560. One blade side tends to gouge the wood and gets build up under the blade causing it to warp and cut uneven. I take very light passes to avoid this but doesn't see to prevent it. Nearly after ever pass i have to remove that one blade, cleane out the debris wedged under the blade, re assemble everything, only for it to do the very same thing on the next pass. I have changed to new blades and make sure all the bolts are tight. Still doesn't fix this. What could possibly causing this and what can be done to stop it

If new blades did not solve the problem, then the head they are mounted to has somehow shifted and is low on that end or the table is high on that end?  I wonder if you have bearing wear on that end and this has allowed the cutter head to drop enough to cause this problem? 

Just thinking out loud.,

Brian

It sound wrong to me that there is debris building up behind/under the blades. I know it sucks but even that planer is supposed to eject chips on its own.

I would measure the blade to table height on both, 

Take off the shroud and check for a clogged ejector, make sure the retention bars (or whatever the thing is called that holds the screws to tension in the blades)  are facing the correct way.

Thank everyone for the replay. All sound like good ideas I'll try to cover them all so far....

its only one blade that is affected, I would think if the cutter head was off level then both blades would be gouging. 

The cutter head surface is clean prior to knife mounting to nothing can be creating a gap

"retention bar" is on correctly

hooked up to dust collection so chips are being sucked away 

I'm stumped 

• 2 weeks later...

OP, If you're still around, I once had the same planer with the same problem. The planer itself was given to me, so I inherited the problem. Somewhere down the line a chip had become lodged under the blade and in doing so, it had bent, ever so slightly, the retaining bar that held the blade down. Every time I cleaned a chip out, a new one would lodge in it at the same place. I ended up buying a new set ( I couldn't buy just one) of retaining bars and the problem went away.

• Like 2