Epoxy curing and lower temperatures

MisterDrow

(Feel free to move this if it should go somewhere else)

So I've got some 30-minute epoxy at home and the label says that it needs to cure at temperatures over 70 degrees... now that Fall is nearing its end and Winter is coming (hehe) my garage shop tends to be around 55-60 when I'm out there working. I can get a bigger heater to get temps up but that's for another post.

My question is, will the epoxy not cure properly if I try to do it at lower temps? I can bring the work piece inside, if need be, but my wife isn't super keen on me taking up the dining room table while epoxy dries... :P

For context, I'm using it to fill in some bug holes in the blue pine on top of my garbage cabinet.

West system epoxy when used with their 205 hardener can be used down to 40F.  My opinion with the material you have is that if it states that it requires temps over 70 to fully cure, then it may not be the best choice for your situation (unless you bring it inside :-)..  What I suspect would happen in cold temps is that the material would gel, but not fully cure leaving you with somewhat of a rubber'y filler. 

Just sneak the pieces in the house after she goes to bed :-)

• Like 1

I would advise against it. When you have an epoxy with directions stating to cure at 70 and you are trying to cure it in 50-60 degrees, you will end up with blotchy and uneven curing, and quite possible parts that don't cure at all. Try tenting the item and using a small closed source heater. You can usually get the temp pretty close...if you have the supplies. A word of caution. So many people want to touch the surface to see if it has cured. Avoid the urge! Test it in a hidden spot so you don't ruin the finish if it hasn't fully cured. I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but I can't tell you how many apprentices don't remember that rule.

• 2 months later...