Table saw sled with dust collection

difalkner

There's really nothing new here but since I just built this I thought I'd post it.  I have needed a table saw sled for some time but just kept putting it off, however, I have an ongoing project that is going to require I have one for many repetitive angled and beveled cuts so it was time to build it.  One thing I hate about using my table saw is all the dust that flies back at me and covers me in dust but right now I don't really want to build an overhead dust collection system.  So since I'll be using this sled often I figured why not build in a little dust control - right!

I already had the piece of Birch plywood from dismantling a shelf unit I build about 30 years ago so with a couple of 2x4's and some Maple for runners I had all the makings.  Since I just finished building the CNC router and had some 1/2" MDF on hand so it just made sense to cut the dust collection parts on the CNC.  I've only made one cut with the sled but it kept about 95% of the dust off of me so that's a good thing!  Some of it still went in the air but I didn't have to wear it!  LOL!

There are some other fixtures that will mount to the sled but those aren't ready yet.  I'll post photos when I get that completed.

Parts on the CNC -

Table saw sled dust collection parts on CNC - 11-28-16.jpg

Sled -

Table saw sled, dust collection - 11-30-16.jpg

Table saw sled, dust collection 2 - 11-30-16.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ben_r_ said:

Huh, interesting concept, but how well is it going to help if youre crosscutting a wider board? Does the blade throw that dust up and into the little scoop on the top?

I seriously doubt it is going to help with a wide board.  That dust will likely still go up in the air but it won't be flying back at me so that's a plus.  There's a fair amount of suction and air moving in front of the scoop, though, so it might catch some.

5 hours ago, Dknapp34 said:

Neat idea!  Is 2x4 material the best choice for the back fence though?  Maybe you can get more stable stuff than I can, but anytime I use 2x4s they twist and cup on me.  

I agree but I'm sometimes overly frugal (i.e., cheap).  On the plus side these are 2x4's that I picked out for their straightness and lack of twist/bow when I build the CNC stand and they've been in our climate controlled shop since July.  I have yet to see these boards move so they're probably going to be ok.

As a side note...  I pick nice dry straight construction lumber intended for studs and joists and keep it around in a nice dry shop for a while before I use it for stuff like sleds and jigs.  By the time I use it I know if it is stable or not.

The supply of good stuff is sporadic.  One supplier may have really nice stuff for months and then have terrible stuff for a similar period.  Fortunately usually one of them has some nice straight dry stock on hand, but I tend to keep a little in the shop just in case.

• Like 2