Planer Recommendations

Marmotjr

Apologies ahead of time, as I am sure this is a well discussed topic,  but searching for "planer" here, tends to yield too may results. 

I am currently looking to buy a planer.  I'm thinking 12-14", benchtop model, that folds up small enough to fit onto a large shelf, so like a 24" square footprint when stowed.  I'd like it to be able to withstand a hobbyist level usage, but if I need it to step up to a bigger workload, I can still trust it. 

I am currently looking at the Dewalt DW734, based solely on reputation and reviews, and the Delta 22-555, as it is about 25% cheaper, slightly bigger capacity, seems to stow smaller, but the reviews are not as good as the DW. 

I'm open to looking at others too if anybody has any recommendations that fit my specs and of a similar price range (the DW734 is about the upper limit I want to spend). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Your Christmas list is fulfilled! Look no further than a 735. Case closed!

Well.... It includes the Incra Box joint jig (not keen on making one yet, willing to drop the cash for a quality jig like this), Spindle sander, Scroll saw, a crapload of HF Clamps (I like em, sue me), and quite a few other do dads, so the 735 is adding a bit to the total bill.   But with the overwhelming recommendations....... not sure I'll be able to say no. 

I just finished building my lathe powered thickness drum sander, next is a 24"ish disc sander (not lathe powered, I got a couple old motors laying around).  Also need to refurb this ancient jointer I have.  Also need to Figure out what I'm doing with my DC system.....  So yeah, a 735 takes away from the overall budget, but if it's what I need for a quality machine, then probably yeah. 

12 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

$475 reconditioned from Amazon.

And the 735x for only a tad more new I just found, 

And then I found this on a review site:

It is for this reason that the X package is preferred over the normal DW735 by people who are starting out with their woodworking endeavor

Well......   Thanks guys, I guess you answered my question.  

4 hours ago, HuxleyWood said:

Are you sure that is a recon?  The deal has been all over the web today and I can't find anything that suggests it is a recon.  Just and FYI the $25 off comes when you put it in the cart.  

Not sure at all.  I thought I saw it last night, or maybe I assumed it because if the price?  I dunno.

8 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

735, it's a bit of a heavy beast though so plan on a rolling tool cart for it too.  I plan on building one for mine. 

Yeah, the plan was to toss it up on the table everytime I use it, but at 96 lbs, it's doable, but I've had back issues in the past (Had to carry an ex NBA center down 4 flights of the stairs during the big East coast power outage, wrenched my back), so one bad lift and I'm out for a couple weeks.   I was planning on doing the same for my jointer, as it's only a 4 inch, but I think I might devise some stand that hold both side by side.   That will allow me to make a dedicated DC system attachment for both.  

But that'll cap me out for space in the shop, so the Scroll saw, spindle sander and hollow mortiser will have to stay on the shelf till I need 'em. 

1 hour ago, xxdabroxx said:

Someone on here made a flip top stand and put a dewalt planer on it, you could probably do that with the scroll saw on the opposite side. 

Like, as in, the planer and saw are on opposite faces of the top, and it flips over James bond style? It'd be the jointer though, my work table is a nice sturdy 4x6' surface, (but not a woodworking bench, another future project.....) so the saw et al can easily be accommodated there while still having room for projects. 

Rockler had a deal going when I bought mine that included the in/out tables and the DeWalt stand with rollers. If I had it to do over again and it didn't include the stand, I would buy it anyway. It's compact, heavy duty and has one side fixed casters and the other side with a foot pedal to engage the rollers. If it sounds like a rabbit hole, it probably is, but consider the stand

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Could someone recommend a dealer that sells the DX735X 13" planer? I live in Houston Texas.

Besides Amazon?

I must say that it bears mentioning that anyone considering a DW735 or any lunch box planer should examine their future plans before going too deep in the rabbit hole.  By the time you buy one and spend money and/or time on stands and storage solutions and make the inevitable consideration of a Byrd head you have spent the better part of a new 15" 4 post planer and you still have a lunch box that sounds like a jet engine at take off.  

• Like 1