Is it worth building a drill press table?

rodger.

Been thinking about buying one, the typical style like this:

Drill-Press Table & Fence - Woodworking

Would be easy enough to make, I guess..  Are there any features worth including in a shop design that are omitted here?  Not really interested in the spindle sander feature, as I have a ridgid combo dealer-wacker.  What do you guys use?  Do you like it?

86n8001s4.jpg

Would be easy enough to make, I guess..  Are there any features worth including in a shop design that are omitted here?  Not really interested in the spindle sander feature, as I have a ridgid combo dealer-wacker.  What do you guys use?  Do you like it?

Ive been thinking the same think. I was looking at the woodpeckers one. I just don't have time to build one.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Pug said:

Drill-Press Table & Fence - Woodworking

I have one of these on my drill press. Works great and to be honest, cheaper to buy than make.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Aw, come on....man up and build one!

Thumbs down to this one.  WAYYYY to complex for the job.

8 minutes ago, davestanton said:

I have one of these on my drill press. Works great and to be honest, cheaper to buy than make.

Does the Dust collection work ok dave?

• Like 1

If you're going super basic I would buy.  If you're going to want it to do more:

Split fence is nice for close work and dust collection. 

Multiple tracks for holddowns.

An offset round insert gives you more than just 2 or 4 "new" locations to drill.

I do wish Woodpeckers still made their old style table. 1" BB ply with phenolic surfaces, four tracks, measuring tapes built in . . . I have found nothing to dislike about it except the square insert and have used it many years.  If I need another I would probably build one similar.

DP-DC (6).jpgDP-DC (3).jpgDP-DC (7).jpgDP-DC (5).jpgDP-Add-Ons.jpg (4).jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I built mine but if I was to buy I like the woodpeckers one. Dust collection is hit and miss on mine depends on the bit for instance forstner bits throw stuff everywhere, but better than nothing.

IMG_0755.JPG

I spent way too long trying to figure out if A) I couldn't see the shop made table in question  or B) Pk didn't realize that's a mortiser not a drill press or C) I was completely missing the point of this thread.    Then I saw the drill press  lol

• Like 1

The drill press table from Harbor Freight is terrible in that it is made from some kind of MDF-like substance, but weaker, yet it does cost less than the hardware it comes with does otherwise.  I bought it intending to replace the termite poop when it wore out, but it has held up surprisingly well once I changed some of the hardware around such that there weren't screws trying to hold into the MDF-lite: rather machine screws with washers in through holes. 

• Like 1