Winged Elm?

Marmotjr

Son of a.....  Finish out the bottom, turn a mortise in the base, apply some tung oil, let it dry for a couple hours, and go to flip it over.   Then I find out it's in that magical 10mm zone where my large chuck jaws are too big, and my small jaws aren't big enough.  There's really not enough meat on the bottom to make it much bigger, so it looks like I'll lose about a 1/2" off the base as I have to make a new mortise.    :(

Yeah, I can scan it, didn't think of that.  Between camera systems at the moment.  Lost my digital rig a few years ago and never got another, that's on this years xmas list too.  And I don't have space to set up another film darkroom like I used to have. 

Scan's pending, gotta install the scanner software.

Ok Here we go

winged1.jpg

winged2.jpg

Really hard to get a clean pic of a circular object on a flat scanner bed.    And note, this is post 2 coats Tung Oil. 

Yes, checked out your site.  I thought it was the same as the wood database, but I have been to yours in the past too, just now realizing, 1) they are not the same and 2) yours seems a lot more in depth. 

The coffee tree is a good guess, I'm going to run with it unless I find better.  The winged elm seemed close, but the endgrain of the coffee tree looks more like this, the color description match a little better, and the range of areas it is found in more matches my location. 

I asked for best guess because I really don't know.  I really just want to be able to call it something if anybody asks. 

I appreciate the help guys!

..... and now I'm  looking at the Honey locust as @C Shaffer suggested, and I'm seeing your site @phinds has a UV lamp on a piece.   Will that be a determining factor in identifying the tree?  

12 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

..... and now I'm  looking at the Honey locust as @C Shaffer suggested, and I'm seeing your site @phinds has a UV lamp on a piece.   Will that be a determining factor in identifying the tree? 

UV CAN be a determining factor between trees. It's on my back burner to do an article on use of UV to ID different woods but there's info out there on the internet. I think Eric (the Wood Database) has something. Eric's site has some excellent articles and good info on wood but suffers seriously from having only one or two pics per wood to my hundreds per wood. Even on obscure woods I usually have a couple of dozen pics.