CA & Ambrosia Maple

Marmotjr

Working on another bowl.  Ambrosia Maple, with some Celtic wood burnings.  I turned and sanded the bowl a couple weeks ago,and the better half did her magic and put the burnings on the other night.  She noticed some hair line cracks in the bowl, and they started to creak and give.    I planned on doing a light sanding after the burnings just to flatten them out some, but I had to apply CA to the cracks to get them to harden up.  The CA on the inside isn't really fading with sanding, so I'd probably have to sand off the burning (and piss her off) to get the CA sanded down.  So....  Here's what I'm thinking.   Perhaps, after lightly sanding them smooth, and applying some Tung oil, they'll tend to blend in with the other Ambrosia markings (in the pic between the burnings).   Thoughts?   This is a nice piece, and I'd hate to scrap it. 

IMG_4338[1].JPG

38 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Does it seem shallow enough that you might take a RO sander to it and get it out without leaving a flat spot that's too noticiable? I'd hate for that artwork to go to waste.

I'd also hate to see it go to waste.  I was thinking sort of the same thing - spot sand it 'off lathe' by hand or with a RO, so you don't have to damage the artwork.

They faded out when I wetted the bowl a bit with water to raise the grain to wet sand a bit.  I'll try some mineral spirits and report back.   But to be honest, I don't think sanding any deeper will help, the wood seemed really really thirsty (It's another hunk of cutoff from the winged elm thread source), and drank that CA right up.   The CA is Medium Insta-Flex gap filling, so it loves to run and soak in.   I've never had this issue with it before. 

It kinda fades out with mineral spirits, but you can still notice it, but that may also be the Maker's Curse (tm), as I know what I'm looking for.  I'll still sand it down some more, and through some Tung oil on it.   I'm at least psyched to see what it looks like, the bowl is really plain, but the Tung should probably make the grain pop some, and contrast nicely with the burnings. 

• Like 1

Well, total fail.   The CA penetrated so deep that I could only polish it with sanding, never removing it.  Good side is the cracks are stable now.  yay.     The Tung oil finish just made the shiny CA shinier.  Turns oout, not a big loss.  The grain and wood is very underwhelming.  Even though the end grain was well cut and sanded to avoid tear out, it's just dark and doesn't pop like I've had other maple do.    So it's not going up for sale, just gonna be an overly ornate around the house bowl.