Tabletop Workbench

Scott Meggison

• 1 month later...

How did you make the wooden screws and nuts?  I looked into several ways to make them for another project, but ultimately decided I needed the finer thread count on metal screws, but I'm not thrilled with that option.  Do you have problems with them sticking or getting loose as the wood moves?

Hello Anna,

The wooden screws and nuts are made from red oak. Due to the coarse grain of the oak, the threads on the rods chipped a little but it doesn't affect the function. I bought a tap and dye set from Grizzly and am very happy with them. I used 2 coats of linseed oil and a generous coat of Johnson's Paste wax on the threads. They spin on and off easily and stay tight. If your project needs the nuts to stay tight for a longer term you could double nut it to lock them on. I drilled a 5/8" hole in 3/4" thick red oak for the nuts. Different wood species may require a different size hole. Hope this info helps. Feel free to ask again if I wasn't clear.

Scott

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Awesome idea and looks like great execution. 

I was wondering about the longevity of the red oak threads.  I wonder if something harder with smaller pores and tighter grain like hard maple or purple heart would last longer. It would probably be an epic pita to cut them but??

I agree completely. The purple heart was my first thought because I like the color next to the red oak. Maple would have been a better choice for threads also, but didn't have any of that either, that weekend and wanted to get it done. Thanks for reminding me, I will stop at my buddy's sawmill and grab some small pieces and make new rods. 

BTW: thanks for the kind words about my project. I used the short moxon vice face and made a hold down. Works but a little flex in it. Looking for ideas

Holdfast 02.jpg

I'm sure you are right. I was trying to use existing parts. The threaded rods are 3/4" Dia, same as the dog holes. Maybe a shorter metal rod would be better, but I like the look of the wood. Still thinking 

The Veritas vice is definitely on my radar for my next version. I want to make a smaller one. About 14" x 9" x 2"