Ridgid 14" bandsaw - is it a good deal?

Andrew Hohnstein

I have the opportunity via CL to pick up a new in box Ridgid 14" bandsaw for $250. Just wondering if anyone things this is a good deal? Amazon shows one for $334 (shipping free via prime) but I'm not sure of other deals some may have received. Just wondering if I need to jump on it while I can. The guy wants me to pick it up "today".

From everything ive read thats a pretty good saw. i always look at the reviews of the people who actually buy them (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgy/R-100041658/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) and what the magazines say. with this saw FWW gave it the "Best Value" in their review, but their "User Reviews" didnt go so well (http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5957&tab=_user). one good thing about that saw is that if you want to use a riser block, the Grizzly one fits the Rigid models, and that is much less evpencive than the Delta one i want. The only thing you might think of before you go trying to resaw with that saw is that it only has a 3/4 HP motor. Just do your research and see if you like the saw first then worry about the price. I always wanted a US made Delta 14". i figured tthat since just about every other 14" bandsaw is modeled after it, they must have done it right. i found mine on CL too for $200 with a rolling stand and a 1HP motor. it obviously wasn't new out of the box, but it was built to last.

i dont know if that helps at all, but atleast you got some more info about the saw you are looking at

John

Probably the worst tool in the Ridgid lineup is their bandsaw. Since it first came out 10 years or so ago the same complaints seem to keep coming up, vibration problems and under powered to name just a couple. Although this saw can be made functional it will require more $$ for the modifications needed to do this. IMO this saw would be OK for a first BS but not at $250, maybe $175.

i have this saw and have had no problems with it. mine has no vibration and the power seems to be decent. i have cut some cherry that i laminated together for a bandsaw box (approximately 5" thick) with no problems. my only beef with this saw is the stock blade. it's junk. i put a bosch on mine that i bought at lowes for a quick fix and it made a world of difference. i also ordered a timberwolf blade from suffolk machinery that i have yet to install. i think you'd be getting a good deal at the price point you mentioned.

I have the opportunity via CL to pick up a new in box Ridgid 14" bandsaw for $250. Just wondering if anyone things this is a good deal? Amazon shows one for $334 (shipping free via prime) but I'm not sure of other deals some may have received. Just wondering if I need to jump on it while I can. The guy wants me to pick it up "today".

Andrew,

I've had mine for a few years. I picked it up on clearance from Home Depot for $175. At that price, I'd say it was a good deal. At $250, and say "maybe". I'd reccomend you check grizzly.com and see of they have anything comparable in terms of the saw or the price. Then you can make an objective decision.