Shop Heat

freedhardwoods

47 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I've used vent free in 2 different garage shops and never had a problem. Any reason you're looking at radiant instead of this? I thought radiant is mainly good only if you're in front of it. 

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200664881_200664881?hotline=false

BTW this is what I use in my pole barn and love it

http://www.qcsupply.com/modine-hot-dawg-heater.html

42 minutes ago, mat60 said:

I could be wrong but Im thinking you may need something bigger.

That is the heater I meant to link to instead of the radiant heater. The Hot Dawg looks nice. Can't spend that much right now. I already have one of the ventless heaters that I used in my other business. I'm trying to decide whether to add a gas or electric heater for the bigger shop. Humidity wasn't a concern before.

I'm going to be heating about 18,000 cu ft (34x48x11). I think two of them will be enough.

I've used the torpedo type propane heater in my garage. It generated way too much humidity. The primary issue was the air would get heated up and loaded with humidity. This pushed the dew point above the temperature my tools were. Thus, condensation on all of the tools. I've since switched to electric after insulating my workshop (garage) much better. If I knew I was going to be in the house a very long time I would install one very similar that Mike has and linked above.

This is one of my concerns too and I think I have come up with a solution.  No way I will use electric with the cost of it here in Ontario, so gas is the way for me.  Now, I have NG in the house and I could bury a line but I am thinking of getting a vented propane furnace from a big RV/Trailer/camper and running propane.  The shop is only 12 x 20 so I think it will heat it well.  I am pretty sure they can be converted over to NG if I ever decide to run a line out there.

You don't need electricity as the heat will disperse per natural convection.  I have a small gas heater in the downstairs.  When the power goes out, I can still turn it on and it will heat the downstairs and upstairs with no problem.

Story:  I used to represent a company that made gas-fired IR heating systems.  The company sold a bunch of heaters to a power company in the West.  They used a long tunnel to thaw the rail cars so the coal would flow out of the cars.  They changed to natural gas IR heaters as they couldn't afford their own electricity!

• Like 2