Donation Box

Isaac

1 hour ago, vinnyjojo said:

Never seen anyone cut the grooves for mitre keys before the glue up. Cool technique. Especially if it helps glue up the box without it slipping.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I didn't take note of your spline cutting technique, before Vinny pointed it out. How DID you manage to cut the spline slots before gluing up the box?

I thought he meant splines, but you guys seem to be talking about the "keys" he put in the miters.

Sorry I probably messed up the lingo. I meant the walnut strips you can see in the images, should I be calling those keys? I just created a jig to hold the board at a 45 degree angle from the table. I will try to photograph tomorrow, it is pretty simple.

I guess you could add them after, I'd never seen it done before and just thought it made sense to cut them first. They did help with alignment and glue up quite a bit. From an engineering perspective, I feel gluing them all at once should yield a stronger joint, but the difference will likely be trivial. 

• Like 1