Is it beech? Is it oak? Or something else?

ClassAct

Looks like that rubberwood stuff to me.

From the internet:

"Rubberwood is a light-colored medium-density tropical hardwood obtained from the Pará rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis), usually from trees grown in rubber plantations. Rubberwood is commonly advertised as an "environmentally friendly" wood, as it makes use of plantation trees that have already served a useful function."

• Like 1

I too vote for the ubiquitous rubberwood. As Mat60 points out, coloring this wood can give odd results. This may be due to the yellow cast to some degree. I suspect this is why you frequently find it left natural with a clear topcoat. As in any new finishing endeavor running test boards to assure your result is a good idea.

• Like 1

Rubberwood it is. Thanks for the link to the Wood Database site. Sometimes pics don't really do a good job capturing wood's properties, but that site's pics confirmed the diagnosis. Thanks to all for the identification!

No offense taken, Mat60. Yep, a dark stain is what I'm going for -- no need to highlight any grain or figure, just give it a dark mahogany-almost-espresso-like color. I'm about halfway through stripping the old yellowish finish with MC stripper, then I'll do my restaining research before I begin my table hacks.

(Yes, it will probably show up in the Project Journal topic; it's going glacially slowly since I can only work on the project for two hours every Monday.)

• Like 1

Rubber wood is from the plantations they tap for natural latex sap. After several years the trees don't produce enough and they cut them down. A new tree grows from the stump. They used to burn the wood. Now they cut around the knots and flaws ,finger joint the pieces together and make Pottery Barn and IKEA crap out of it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Rubber wood is from the plantations they tap for natural latex sap. After several years the trees don't produce enough and they cut them down. A new tree grows from the stump. They used to burn the wood. Now they cut around the knots and flaws ,finger joint the pieces together and make Pottery Barn and IKEA crap out of it.

Your facts are solid but I disagree w/ your conclusion. It's low end stuff for sure but if you like blond wood and you're a young person w/ limited means, it's quite a decent choice.

• Like 2