pricing a sculpture/table

treesner

I've been working on on some sculpture/furniture lately and starting to get some pieces I'm happy with and showing them to some friends. I was curious if you had any thoughts on how to price this type of thing? It's about 3'x4' and took me a few full days of work (not factoring in all the hours of experimenting before getting to this point. My old boss/friend wants to buy it and asked how much, any thoughts on this? 

2016-11-28-wood-topo-floating-table_85.jpg

2016-11-28-wood-topo-floating-table_81.jpg

Just now, Brendon_t said:

Agreed.  what are the dimensions?

It's  a very cool piece but for the high end, I'm thinking it would have to be shown in an art spot. 

Thank you I haven't measured but somewhere around 3ft x 4ft and only like 8" deep. 

My buyer friend is in San Francisco and  a designer 

1 hour ago, Lester Burnham said:

How did you make that?

That information is $500. :lol:

Very cool piece.  I generally recommend that one look at similar pieces in their area and judge from there.  I am sometimes uncomfortable with what I get for stuff but, I am sure not going to be shy and "Wal-Mart" myself.

10 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

That information is $500. :lol:

Very cool piece.  I generally recommend that one look at similar pieces in their area and judge from there.  I am sometimes uncomfortable with what I get for stuff but, I am sure not going to be shy and "Wal-Mart" myself.

What is a good source for looking st prices of similar pieces? Only source I've found is etsy but not sure how relevant those prices are 

I'd charge $2K for it. If they don't like the price, someone will. It is art... For some reason people value things they cannot use. So, the price has to go up... By the way, I'm going to make one after I get settled in with these other projects I'm working on.

:) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Denette said:

I can't tell you what your project is worth.  That said, whenever I do work for someone else, I multiply the number of hours I actively worked on it (including design time, but not including things like hours of drying time for finish) by the amount I get paid per hour in my full-time job, then add the cost of materials and consumables (finish, sandpaper, blades, etc.).  The final number usually makes sense.

I'm doing more and more commissions, and that's what I do. However, I estimate the hours I think I'll need, and use that (+consumables, wood, hardware) and give that as a quote. I've quickly learned that actual hours spent is more than you originally plan! I then ask at least 50% up front. If you start getting really serious, you'd have to have a factor for depreciation of your tools, electricity, rent etc.

i find that I've either shocked the potential customer with the high price, or they accept gladly - ensuring a supporting customer who comes back for more. My day job pays the bills, so I feel that my free time I spent building for others is worth good money. 

I'd offer it to him for $2500, as a special for a friend, but mention that future pieces he may have a market for would be in the 4-5k range. 

Good luck, I think your piece looks very cool.

Hard to price art.  You're in the CA bay area so a different world of pricing from me so I would go towards the higher end of what you think is reasonable.  If this is something you think you want to be pursuing then you want to think about how much is somebody going to have to pay you to make the 100th one when all the excitement and discovery is over.  Plus another $100 for having to take a leaf blower to the shop every time.

Not sure I would price that under $1000 and I would go higher depending on the feel for the clientale. You have definitely crossed into art and I feel that pricing goes from being about material+labor+overhead+profit to being about what kind of house would this end up in.

It is really awesome, great job on the carving, it looks like it is melting down the wall

10 hours ago, Aj3 said:

You need to have a name that will command high dollars.

This isn't exactly true... In fact, it is mostly inaccurate. People get this mindset and think they should instantly undervalue their work because they aren't known. I've sold reindeer for close to what you are saying he should sell this for. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aj3 said:

You need to have a name that will command high dollars.

That's about hogwash right there.  I live in  in CA and work in Beverly Hills.  there are entire galleries and boutique stores down here selling wood as art from some no name or factory.  you don't need the name, you need someone who appreciates the piece.

• Like 1

Write a receipt for $600-1,000 over material (week's labor), but tell your friend you'll take a check for whatever you think is fair based on your relationship. Ask him not to publish the actual purchase price. Ask him to quote the receipt price with your "willingness to work with him a bit." (This is not about cheating taxes, but about crediting the friendship value.) This keeps that unrealistic price expectation away as the "list" price gets communicated. This protects your profit needs should someone want to commission something else similar. That demonstrates your friendship wiggle and should preserve your friendship. It is always easier to quote high and lower the actual cost on a case by case basis. 

• Like 1

Find local galleries, especially if they focus on woodwork. Might have to drive a town or two over, but you should be able to find them. This time of year is perfect for finding comparisons, and for getting new ideas.

Speaking for my area (Seattle-ish), looking at that as an art object, I'd say $1500 would be an unsurprising price to see. No reason you can't 'discount' it to an even $1000 for your friend, but do point out that it is a discounted price.

Furniture can be priced by time+materials, art isn't so simple. If you price it as furniture, you set a precedent. If you price it as art, it remains special. You can still use furniture pricing if you want to figure out your baseline, but don't tell your buyer how you came to that number.

Since I haven't said it before, that is a beautiful piece.

• Like 1

I knew you guys wouldn't like my point of view.

I look at like this woodworking arts isn't any different then let's say someone who writes a great song or a chef that makes a good dish or a painter or Photogragher.

There has to be more then one piece to command big money.Eventually your gonna run out of friends and family to buy your work.And spare bedrooms to store it.

If the op can create a room full of nice eye catching sculpture and have a gallery show.Ya know with wine and cheese.

Its just my experience and I don't mind being wrong.

I would also like to change my original price from 200 to 300.

Aj

I dont think it is art, but i dont think 99.9% of woodworking is art. I dont think chefs are artists either. These are craftspeople, not artists. That discussion aside, i would follow something similar to C Shaffer's advice. Personally, if you get $800 out of this piece, i think you did well. Could you get more? Maybe. Is it worth waiting another 6 months for the perfect buyer to come along and pay you $1200? I dont think so. You started another thread asking how to get started as a pro, which leads me to believe this is one of your first pieces. You need to produce and get your work out there. Better to sell to your friend for under $1000 and tell them they got a discount, then grind out every last cent of value. You need to build a grassroots foundation of clientele referrals. You also need to build a portfolio of work. Sell this one and go make something else. 

People will say you need to value yourself as an artisan craftsperson, but first you need a brand and reputation. If Joe Woodworker charged the same price for his end grain board as a boardsmith or Boos board, he may never sell his first board. He might make a better cutting board than the two competitors, but overvaluing your work initially is a bad idea, in my opinion.