Standard Length or rule for outfeed table?

bushwacked

What are your thoughts on a length of a outfeed to support an 8 piece on the tablesaw. How far past the blade should the outfeed be to make sure the board is supported enough not to start tipping up too dangerously to handle.

Yes an 8' outfeed table would be great, but that is not realistic. So trying to figure out a happy medium to where I could rip an 8' board and still be safe about it.

I could of swore I read somewhere that it needs to be at least half the size of your board behind the blade ... but I could be wrong. (so 4 feet behind the blade on an 8' rip)

4" is the tipping point for an 8" piece,  add enough to get the piece clear of the balde.  but that is a lot of space to give up for those occasions when you want to rip or cut an 8" piece.  I suggest a free standing roller or similar support that can be put away when you don't need it.

On 12/6/2016 at 4:09 PM, wdwerker said:

My outfeed table also doubles as an assembly table. That makes it some very functional shop real estate.

I do the same. I made a stand for my MFT and raised it to just under my table saw and added a little shelf unit on the back so I can clear off the top and use the space as my outfeed. Then it doubles as my assembly/sanding/workbench/track saw/everything else. Underneath, there's storage for my Festool midi, router, sander and tracksaw. 

Since I don't often work with long stock on the table saw, and since space is not unlimited in my shop, I just use those folding stands with a roller on top on an as needed basis.  The cheapies from HF were only about $15 and work OK if you are careful how you use them.  I sometimes threaten to build something a little more sturdy, but thus far have not bothered.

11 hours ago, Pete Staehling said:

Since I don't often work with long stock on the table saw, and since space is not unlimited in my shop, I just use those folding stands with a roller on top on an as needed basis.  The cheapies from HF were only about $15 and work OK if you are careful how you use them.  I sometimes threaten to build something a little more sturdy, but thus far have not bothered.

Try the Ridgid one's from Home Depot. About $30 a pop and much better than the roller ones, imo. 

Currently 4 ft X 10 ft outfeed/assembly table. Used to be 5' X 12' but I had to cut it down to fit the new shop.  Built it probably 30 years ago to last and it sure has been useful. Everything in the shop revolves around this table. 

image.jpeg

One of these days I'm going to add a solid maple edge around the top and put the vise back on the end.

• Like 1

I had a workbench that I bought from HF. turned it into an outfeed with a little storage, and left room for my jointer right behind it.  It also acts as an assembly table with the items most usually needed in the drawers, and 2 120v overhead lines for electric.  And it gives me extra holding power with dog holes and a vise [that sucks, but will work]!

DSC01368.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/9/2016 at 8:35 PM, RichardA said:

I had a workbench that I bought from HF. turned it into an outfeed with a little storage, and left room for my jointer right behind it.  It also acts as an assembly table with the items most usually needed in the drawers, and 2 120v overhead lines for electric.  And it gives me extra holding power with dog holes and a vise [that sucks, but will work]!

DSC01368.JPG

Looks mildly familiar...

20160623_204339-2.jpg