Using Hide Glue

Hammer5573

I use hot hide glue a lot. Usually hot water works best for cleanup, for glue brushes I leave them to dry and then throw them in a jar of hot water before I plan to use them. They soften right up in about an hour.

I have a small fridge in the shop and I mix my glue in a mason jar that gets dropped into the glue pot and works more or less like a double boiler. When I'm done I put the lid on the jar and put it in the fridge and it keeps for quite some time. If left out of the fridge it will mold.

For instrument work I mix glue up in a little 2 oz plastic bottle with a dropper lid and then drop the bottle in the glue pot filled with water. Works great for letting me put glue right where I need it.

Water is all you need to clean it up.  An old tooth brush can help. 

Hide glue is my favorite glue to use.  It is mostly that or epoxy for most things.  Sometimes I use waterproof PVA, but I have read about using alum to make hide glue waterproof.  I suppose then you'd have to use alcohol to dissolve it.