Bent shaft table saw

Lincoln

Hello. I was hoping to get some advice or knowledge from anyone out there who may know something about the saw I just purchased. bought a 60's era Craftsman for $50 bucks. it is a model 113. 27520. I was lured by the powerful 220v motor and price. when I looked at it I thought most of the problems were cosmetic and I could live with that. not making fine furniture and am mostly a hobbyist because of my skill level. noticed immediately that the shaft/bearings/are bent pretty bad. maybe 1/8" measured at the blade with the blade raised all the way. blade is new and tried several blades. the shaft has a fixed backing plate that the blade is placed up against. my assessment is that the whole shaft will need replacing. 

My questions are how to go about this. I know there is talk online about interchangeable parts and possibly finding a used trunnion, arbor, and carrier assembly that can be purchased but I dont know where to find out if this is true. specifically, should and could I buy a replacement "gut" assembly and from what model? I have looked for parts for my saw and there are plenty but i am fearful that im purchasing the same issue from another person. So I was hoping that a later model would be interchangeable but which one? Should I just abandon the saw and find another decent deal on the market as buying the replacement parts is not possible or just too complicated to make it worth it?

Any help or advice is appreciated

It wavers, wobbles like a bent bicycle rim. It is damn perfectly 90 degrees when it is manually spinned it will line up with 90. But when it is turned on i can see it wobbling. I have not put a dial indicstor on it as I do not have one. but know my guess is pretty close. no I did not turn it on before purchasing. I know, big bad.

A bad bearing is pretty easy to replace and will run you about 6 dollars including shipping. A bent arbor is a different ball game. You will not be able to tell who the villain is without removing the arbor and disassembling. If your arbor is direct drive and built right into the motor then you will need a whole new motor. If the motor is belt driving the arbor then a new motor will not fix your problem. 

Am taking the assembly apart now. It is a belt driven saw. I have never diagnosed a bent shaft or bearing. my guess is to roll the shaft with the bearings removed across a flat surface but looking at it there does not seem there is going to be a flat surface on the shaft. the backing plate where the blade rests on is fixed. the drive pulley on the oposite side of the shaft is much larger then the diameter of this backing plate. put it in a drill press? eyeball wobbly?

Okay, got the arbor out. pulled one of the bearings out of the housing with ease. the other took awhile and when it finally exploded it nearly took part of my face with it. there was no retaining clip and in the diagrams i have looked, no retaining clip. basically, i have learned something and am posting it to share my experience. this arbor is sold with one of two of the bearings already pressed on. i now know why. there is some sort of metal depression next to a raised area that the bearing is mounted over. and im here to tell you this makes for an extremly strong grip to the bearing. when this bearing finally came loose it literally exploded shooting my two foot handle ratchet and large bearing puller straight up in the air. close one!!! in conclusion looks like this bearing is not available outside a bearing distibutor. it looks like it is only available as an assembly craftsman part 508511. i will think long and hard what i do next.

I actually have one of these saws in pretty good shape.  Grandpa bought it new in the 50's.   It is stored upside down on top of a cabinet in the shop waiting to become a dedicated crosscut station.  At one point I was thinking of selling it but, found that they could be had for $100 and less all over creation. Whereabouts are you?

Front-4-web.jpg

You might consider picking up another one and taking the best parts from each.  It is a stout little saw and can be made to do some good work if properly situated and accessorized.  The place I work has one in "the Shop" that has been in service almost as long as I've been alive.

I think you've laready been directed to OWWM for other owners and info.

Im in Fresno,Ca.

I have been looking for another identical saw. Have been doing a lot of research on compatable parts from different model saws, but there is just too many unanswerable questions from directories, catalogs, parts experts, bla bla. 

It has comeback to my original question which i think might have been answered by Gee-Dub. This saw properly situated can be made to do ggod work. Then its worth my effort so far and i will get it going. 

Are you considering selling your saw gee dub?

14 hours ago, Lincoln said:

Im in Fresno,Ca.

I have been looking for another identical saw. Have been doing a lot of research on compatable parts from different model saws, but there is just too many unanswerable questions from directories, catalogs, parts experts, bla bla. 

It has comeback to my original question which i think might have been answered by Gee-Dub. This saw properly situated can be made to do ggod work. Then its worth my effort so far and i will get it going. 

Are you considering selling your saw gee dub?

I'll PM you.

On 12/10/2016 at 3:08 AM, Lincoln said:

Okay, got the arbor out. pulled one of the bearings out of the housing with ease. the other took awhile and when it finally exploded it nearly took part of my face with it. there was no retaining clip and in the diagrams i have looked, no retaining clip. basically, i have learned something and am posting it to share my experience. this arbor is sold with one of two of the bearings already pressed on. i now know why. there is some sort of metal depression next to a raised area that the bearing is mounted over. and im here to tell you this makes for an extremly strong grip to the bearing. when this bearing finally came loose it literally exploded shooting my two foot handle ratchet and large bearing puller straight up in the air. close one!!! in conclusion looks like this bearing is not available outside a bearing distibutor. it looks like it is only available as an assembly craftsman part 508511. i will think long and hard what i do next.

I am not sure if I am missing something, but why not just buy the bearings from a bearing supply house and press them on?  Is the shaft bent or something?  I would think the bearings could be found for a relatively negligible cost.  Worst case pay someone who has a press and associated stuff to press it on, but usually it isn't too hard to improvise something.

• Like 1

Unfortunately one of the two bearings on this shaft is permanently mounted. I cannot figure out how this is accomplished. The shaft has a permanent backing plate where the blade rests upon. Behind that is the permanent bearing. The shaft locks the bearing in place by stepping up in diameter just behind the bearing. then the diameter decreases and remains that same diameter the rest of the way.

This is why the bearing exploded on me, Because I was thinking the same as you. replace the bearings and I'm good to go.
 But, this isn't the case. I'm currently trying to obtain another saw as a parts saw.

13 hours ago, Lincoln said:

Unfortunately one of the two bearings on this shaft is permanently mounted. I cannot figure out how this is accomplished. The shaft has a permanent backing plate where the blade rests upon. Behind that is the permanent bearing. The shaft locks the bearing in place by stepping up in diameter just behind the bearing. then the diameter decreases and remains that same diameter the rest of the way.

This is why the bearing exploded on me, Because I was thinking the same as you. replace the bearings and I'm good to go.
 But, this isn't the case. I'm currently trying to obtain another saw as a parts saw.

Can you chuck it up in a lathe or drill press and cut, grind, or file the stepped up thickness part to a diameter the bearing fits over?