trim router roundover bit

Pwk5017

Picked up a bosch colt NIB for $60 over the weekend, and i want to chuck up a roundover bit in it for semi-permanent use. Originally, i was going to buy a 1/4" shank 1/8" bit and a 1/16" bit. Now that im looking at freud bits, the suckers are expensive for tiny 1/4" shank roundovers. $21 isnt expensive, but for a tiny simple bit, it is more than i want to pay. So, it means buying one over the other. Im leaning towards the 1/8" roundover, but could see going even smaller if it is suggested. Does anyone run a trim router with roundover bit for easing edges? 

5 minutes ago, Chet K said:

If you go with Whiteside also check hartvilletool.com  and enter promo code wn15 to get 15% off.

Isnt this ben's job to pull coupon codes out of thin air?

I will, i usually use router bit world or whatever their name is. Prices are typically great, but this price appears less stellar. Maybe my memory is poor, but i remember most straight bits under 1" being $10ish. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Isnt this ben's job to pull coupon codes out of thin air?

Ha! I actually didn't even know about that one! I usually buy from Hartville via eBay, but have never checked out their website.

31 minutes ago, Chet K said:

If you go with Whiteside also check hartvilletool.com  and enter promo code wn15 to get 15% off.

Awesome! Is that an "all the time" working code or a limited time one?

50 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

Awesome! Is that an "all the time" working code or a limited time one?

I've used it every time I buy bits from them.   I think I originally got the code from Ross (wtnhighlander) a couple of years ago.

22 minutes ago, Chet K said:

I've used it every time I buy bits from them.   I think I originally got the code from Ross (wtnhighlander) a couple of years ago.

Dang man. AND they do free shipping no matter the cost. Wish I would have known about that years ago! And now that CarbideProcessors.com isnt doing free shipping combined with their 10% anymore this is very helpful!

I avoid going cheap on router bits EXCEPT for my roundovers. Especially on the smaller radii, you are taking off so little material, I've never had trouble with burning. I spent < $20 at Home Depot and got a cheap set with 4 sizes:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Roundover-Router-Bit-Set-4-Piece-A25RS41/205626174

If you don't want to risk it, Yonico makes a set of 6 for $40.

http://www.precisionbits.com/6-bit-roundover-and-beading-router-bit-set-yonico-13621q.html

I've had great results with using Yonico bits. Some are available on Amazon as well, so you can check that part number and see what is available.

-E

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Elroy Skimms said:

I avoid going cheap on router bits EXCEPT for my roundovers. Especially on the smaller radii, you are taking off so little material, I've never had trouble with burning. I spent < $20 at Home Depot and got a cheap set with 4 sizes:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Roundover-Router-Bit-Set-4-Piece-A25RS41/205626174

If you don't want to risk it, Yonico makes a set of 6 for $40.

http://www.precisionbits.com/6-bit-roundover-and-beading-router-bit-set-yonico-13621q.html

I've had great results with using Yonico bits. Some are available on Amazon as well, so you can check that part number and see what is available.

-E

I've not been doing this for long but cheap roundovers have never been a problem for me, either. When it comes to other bits, I learned really quickly that the cheap ones don't produce good results and you end up having to do lots of cleanup after the fact. This is why I went with the Freud bits when I got my tongue and groove set. Spent way more than I wanted to but I want reliability and performance more than saving a few bucks. Maybe I could have gone with a slightly cheaper set and been fine, I'll try those later, though.

Looks like im spending the money. Whiteside will be a smidge cheaper with the 15% off. Im like every other guy that experienced burning with cheap bits. Burning on a profile bit sucks, because you end up sanding it out of uniform profile. A burn on roundover is better than a burn on an ogee, but still.