Porch Swing

Coop

I have a hankering, prodded by my wife, to build a porch swing and I would really like to profit from others mistakes on getting the angles correct. I made three sets of Adirondack chairs before I got this right, and gave the first two away. Has anyone ever built a swing that they were truly happy with and that would make an old man's butt and back happy?

2 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I agree with Ronn. On a chair, I seem to recall Steve suggesting the seat angke be 5* from horizontal, and the back angle be 7* off vertical. Remember that with a porch swing, you can adjust the suspension chain / rope to give the whole thing more or less recline.

I thought about the angle being determined by the length of the chain but all I have looked at show the arm rest being parallel to the ground/floor, which makes sense. And as my chairs are comfortable, I don't see them being comfortable as a swing, and I sure butchered a lot of cypress to get them where they are.

You are correct, adjusting the chain tilts the entire assembly. Still need the seat to back angle. If that 5 and 7 degree relationship works, you could build the swing with the back at 92* from the seat, then tilt the seat with chain adjustments to get the seat 5* off horizontal, which would then put the back at 7* from vertical.

Maybe someone with more chair experience can chime in ...

9 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

You are correct, adjusting the chain tilts the entire assembly. Still need the seat to back angle. If that 5 and 7 degree relationship works, you could build the swing with the back at 92* from the seat, then tilt the seat with chain adjustments to get the seat 5* off horizontal, which would then put the back at 7* from vertical.

Maybe someone with more chair experience can chime in ...

As confusing as it sounds, it makes sense. Thanks bud! When I'm swinging, I'll think of you! Ehhh, probably not ;)

12 hours ago, Keggers said:

The angle of the seat and the back will change depending on how hard you swing!!! :P

My brother builds swings in Texas. If you like, I'll give him a call tomorrow to see what angles he uses. Let me know.

That would be great Kent. I appreciate that.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/8/2016 at 7:29 PM, Coop said:

I have a hankering, prodded by my wife, to build a porch swing and I would really like to profit from others mistakes on getting the angles correct. I made three sets of Adirondack chairs before I got this right, and gave the first two away. Has anyone ever built a swing that they were truly happy with and that would make an old man's butt and back happy?

Did you ever make a porch swing?